PDA

View Full Version : Whos good with ph, alk, Ca, and such...Ive gotta problem.

redspot321
06/17/2006, 06:26 PM
Hi there I just did some testing on my reef system and heres what Ive got.

pH 8.4
Alk 4.0 meq/L

Ca+ 280!!!!

I am trying to avoid water changes right now due to a dino infestation. I trying to see if my fresh water is the source of the problem. I did a major 40% water change about 16 days ago.

1. How did my Ca get so low?
2. How low can it (CA) get before my SPS staart to be affected?
3. How can I raise my Ca without raising my PH+ALK.

I HAVE been adding C balance aver the past few days without raising my CA, why would this be?

LBCBJ
06/17/2006, 06:38 PM
What size tank? If it's large C-Balance may not be enough or try dosing more. You have to dose kalk also. What salt?

rammee
06/17/2006, 06:50 PM
get some calcium colride or turbo calcium but wach your alk it might drop

cristhiam
06/17/2006, 06:58 PM
Turbo calcium and adjust your alk when starts droping with baking soda. watch your ph.
Use this calculator
http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/chemcalc.html

Saltz Creep
06/17/2006, 07:02 PM
Proper dosing of calcium chloride raises calcium without affecting pH or Alk.

However, overdosing with any Ca supplement can precipitate calcium carbonate and lower alk.

redspot321
06/18/2006, 11:01 AM
Sounds good, Can I get Calcium chloride at the LFS?

redspot321
06/18/2006, 11:04 AM
Its a 55 gallon tank with a few SPS frags......It appears Calcium chloride is the main ingredient in C-balance. What elements are causing the ph to rise?

Ingredients:
Calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, calcium bromide, strontium chloride, lithium chloride, rubidium chloride, nickel chloride, chromium chloride, zinc chloride, copper chloride, cesium chloride, iron chloride, manganese chloride and cobalt chloride.

Billybeau1
06/18/2006, 11:07 AM
Which calcium test kit ? Sure its O.K. Maybe verify your results at the LFS before you start changing things. Once you've determine you have the correct results, use the reef chemistry calculator to determine how much product to add. Also check the warnings.

Kurt03
06/18/2006, 11:08 AM
You can get calcium chloride from dow flake (found in some homedeopts or lowes i tihnk, but not in my area) or prestone driveway heat ( yes thats right, the stuff used to melt your driveway in the winter. Got mine at autozone) If you go this route instead of turbocalcium or some other commercial brand you will save a TON. It was only like $8 for 454grams of this stuff or something. good luck

Billybeau1
06/18/2006, 11:15 AM
Also the PH is an unrelated issue. I doubt its being caused by that product. 8.4 isnt that bad, just dont let it get too much higher. If you get a chance read Randys article about high PH issues. Its in the reef chemistry forum.

Paintbug
06/18/2006, 11:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7582583#post7582583 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kurt03
You can get calcium chloride from dow flake (found in some homedeopts or lowes i tihnk, but not in my area) or prestone driveway heat ( yes thats right, the stuff used to melt your driveway in the winter. Got mine at autozone) If you go this route instead of turbocalcium or some other commercial brand you will save a TON. It was only like $8 for 454grams of this stuff or something. good luck

i use Prestone Driveway Heat myself. $9 for 8lbs. cant beat it. i mix 2 cups per 1 gallon of RO water. just like Randy says :D.