PDA

View Full Version : do live stock get affected by x-rays from airport security

asiankidd2
06/17/2006, 11:58 PM
well this is pretty much the answer i need to know, i recently moved up to norcal and my live stock is all in so cal, fastest way up is for me to fly them up there with me, i was thinking of packing them in a styrofoam box in bags and then throw them in to my suit case. Would this work? or will they die from getting scanned? thanks

live stock includes fish clams, and inverts

-Jon

zemuron114
06/18/2006, 12:06 AM
i highly recommend you not putting them in the suitcase. The airline workers do not treat the bags nicely... your fish will be tossed around, banged around, and probably die. Carry them on if you can. OR just ship them to yourself :)

Sk8r
06/18/2006, 12:09 AM
They should be ok. They swear it won't expose film... There is the anecdote about the family that flung their baby onto the conveyor. It survived.

On the other hand, they might not let you on with it, and then what fall-back do you have? I'd certainly call the airline and tell them what you propose, and see if you fit within their regulations. I would more worry about the possibility of leaks or pressure problems on your fish and inverts once you reach altitude. The luggage compartment is right out. You'd have to carry them aboard with you, and if they have a pressurization problem, [I've had them nearly blow my ears out landing in NOLA] it could be grim.

You'd at least become legend among the gate security agents.

Sk8r
06/18/2006, 12:12 AM
I think you'd be better off shipping them to yourself Fedex, using the kind of packing Live Aquaria uses. Ship them, fly, and meet them the next morning at your new digs. Expensive, but way less hassle.

Ask Fedex about cost and what they do with live cargo like that.

Toddrtrex
06/18/2006, 12:15 AM
Right, you should check with the airline first. I was watching some "airline" reality show (I was at my Mom's so lay off ;) )

There was a guy trying to do a similar thing, the airlines made a big stink about it. They were close to not letting him bring his fish, one of the large angels, I thnk the only reason they let him bring it on was because of the cameras.

TheFlyingTang
06/18/2006, 12:44 AM
Contact the airline you will be flying on and check in with the cargo department. Every airline has its own cargo division on the airport. It will be as easy as dropping off your fish on the cargo side of the airport, or if it's a small airport it may be at the ticket counter, and catching your flight. When you arrive just go pick up your fish.

Just pack them with a heat packet and make sure you use an insulated container, temps at altitude can reach -75c outside, and if the crew doesn't turn on the heat, you get the picture. Each plane is different, but take precations.

asiankidd2
06/18/2006, 01:16 AM
yeah if anything it would be carry on for me, i guess i will go ahead and make that call to be safe thanks for the suggestions.

Me No Nemo
06/18/2006, 01:24 AM
Many of my customers buy fish at my store and take them in a small cooler onto the plane. With a cooler you can open it and let them see inside, and this way the fish are kept in a fairly stable temp situation as well as a cooler is easy to carry on. Many have been told by the airlines that they won't be allowed past security, but security in Orlando has never stopped anyone to my knowledge. I'd check with security as well.

zemuron114
06/18/2006, 02:18 AM
i brought fish home last christmas. I bagged them myself with O2 and doubled bag, then stole a small box from the LFS near me. They didn't ask any questions. just make sure the box is the right dimensions or they will make you check it (you dont want to do this.. trust me)

to ship live fish with FEDEX you have to set up an account and ship them a box of how you ship live fish. they check it and then ship it back to you saying "yes you cna ship with us" or "no you cannot"

UPS doesn't require this and all you have to do is tell them its live fish and they say "we are not responsible for the outcome of said animal.. blah blah"

UPS has no hassle, FedEx is a huge hassle.

Pamela
06/18/2006, 04:44 AM
Hubby brought back several bags with him from Ca. They did want to send them thru the xray but he convinced them that it would hurt them not being sure himself if it would. In the end after showing them the bags and answering the' you mean there's a worm in there, oooooooow' type questions they let him thru. While it could have gone either way he wouldn't hesitate to do it again as the choices and prices are to tempting in Ca.

zemuron114
06/19/2006, 12:45 AM
i X-rayed my flame wrasses and dwarf eel on the way back.. all are healthy and well :) I dont think it will hurt them, but they wont make you as long as you show them.

asiankidd2
06/19/2006, 01:15 AM
this is great input, had anyone actually gotten stopped by security tho?

zemuron114
06/19/2006, 03:01 AM
when i left from Hawaii to Boston i carried a pair of flames and a dwarf eel as a carry on. I put it through the X-ray, and they didn't say anything. When i went to pick it up they asked if it was fruit or veges and i said no, they said OK, and let me go.. lol They didn't even check!
However the airport security in HNL isn't the most "secure" to say the least. I would think leaving CA would be harder.

Call ahead and take down the time/date/ and the person you talked to. That way if they give you crap at the airport after someone told you ahead of time, they have to let you go :)

Saltz Creep
06/19/2006, 05:33 AM
You could avoid the x-ray scanner altogether by smuggling livestock in secret compartments in your shoes. Just don't try to keep them warm durung the flight using a matches as it may result in you being beaten and possibly thrown out of the plane.