PDA

View Full Version : What would be a good hang on skimmer?

jkhudson
06/18/2006, 05:08 AM
I can't use a sump because of space requirements so I'm forced to use a hangon or stand alone. What would be a good skimmer for a 75 gal. reef? BTW would it be possible to modify a berlin to be a stand alone? TIA.

Fishfreak218
06/18/2006, 07:32 AM
Deltec MCE600 ... it can hang right on back of the tank....

skippy2
06/18/2006, 07:49 AM
That's almost $500!!!! Sounds impressive but way to expensive!!!

Snarkys
06/18/2006, 08:00 AM
seriously , the rest are a waste of money.

go deltec or skip it and do more water changes

Saltz Creep
06/18/2006, 08:01 AM
Remora Pro with a Mag 3 or 5.

Kaos
06/18/2006, 08:18 AM
I'll second the Remora Pro. It seems to be getting allot of bad press here lately. IME, it removes a good deal of the DOC's and w/ a paper towel folded and placed in the reaction chamber it is very quiet. Also, go w/ the surface skimmer box to help w/ the micro bubbles.

It seems Deltec is the new Euro-Reef here. I'm sure it's a good skimmer and probably worth the price but it seems people are falling into the "see who can get the most expensive toy" game. When I first started on this board, everyone had to have Euro-Reef. If you didn't, then your skimmer wasn't skimming enough. Now, that Deltec has come along, and is more expensive, people are switching to that and swearing it's the only adequite skimmer on the market. I'm not calling anyone out and if I had $500 to spend on a skimmer I would probably go w/ a Deltec. I'm just trying to get across that there are other, cheaper skimmers out there that will work, maybe not as well, but will keep your tank healthy. Just my $.02.

Iammatt219
06/18/2006, 08:33 AM
try a coralifesuper skimmer

Buster4900
06/18/2006, 08:46 AM
My remora sure pulls alot of gunk out of the tank. Nice price and built well. I would purchase again.

Snarkys
06/18/2006, 09:54 AM
once you own a better skimmer you realize how worthless the remora is.

remoras produce green water where skimmers like the hang on deltec produce extremely foul smelling sludge. hang on remora is also very loud

CeeGee
06/18/2006, 10:04 AM
the remora takes a big footprint inside the tank as well (especially the pro) and when you add the prefilter box you have no room left inside the tank.

I bought the pro model and it sits on the floor by my quarantine. I never felt that it skimmed very well even after adding the huge Mag 3 (after going through 3 of the rio's that ship with this skimmer). I hated the remora so much that I went skimmerless for nearly a year. I would sell it but I would feel awful for pushing crap onto someone else.

If I had to have a HO skimmer I would check into the coralife although I am sure that would end up being another waste of money and would end up with a deltec that cost me an extra $200 cause I bought the coralife first.

Snarkys
06/18/2006, 11:06 AM
i ebayed my remora with the box for $200 and used it to get the deltec : )

AquaReeferMan
06/18/2006, 11:44 AM
Coralife Super Skimmer. I love mine and it works very well. I empty a very dark and smelly collection cup weekly. Very good IMO.

sherm71tank
06/18/2006, 11:51 AM
I had the Remora Pro as well and it ended up in the for sale forum. Go with a needlewheel HOB. Deltec isn't the only one out there. ( Though it may be the best ).

Snarkys
06/18/2006, 12:13 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=730752

foozdog
06/18/2006, 04:28 PM
bump. irecently bit on the remora and surface box and am extremely dissapointed.hopefully people read this thread and spend the extra cash as i didn't and now have to anyway

tcb7019
06/18/2006, 05:39 PM
I had a remora on my 30 gallon and was not impressed with the filter box. It is very easy for your pump to run dry if you don't keep an eye on it. I had to drill several small holes in the box just for piece of mind. The skimmer itself worked O.K., but the box was less than impressive. I removed the sponge and put egg crate on the return side and just filled it with live rock. Actually worked pretty well.

Good luck

Tom

LBCBJ
06/18/2006, 05:46 PM
I love my Remora. CSS's are cheaply-made crap. Remoras are extremly slim and dont have a"
big footprint"...there's a maxi-jet 1200 in the tank, big footprint, I dont think so. Deltecs are nice, but not close to being worth $500.

Rendos
06/18/2006, 05:56 PM
LifeReef makes a great hang on skimmer.

www.lifereef.com

McCrary
06/18/2006, 07:15 PM
Deltec is probably one of the best hang on skimmers, if not the best, but you have to ask yourself if it is worth $500. The Remora Pro has a lot of fans, me being one of them. CeeGee has a 39 gallon tank, his complaint of the large overflow box will be less of a problem for your 65. Although it still looks pretty big in my 110. My vote goes to the remora pro. IMO, it isn't worth $500 dollars for a HOT skimmer. When you upgrade and have a sump, then think about a Deltec.

Snarkys
06/18/2006, 07:20 PM
good part about the deltec is you can ebay it for almost as much as you paid when you do upgrade.

IMO you almost have to own some of the cheaper skimmers like the prizm pro and remora to really appreciate how much better the deltec is in every area. it makes the others look like a total waste of time and money. Deltedc may very well not be worth $500 but the remora is worth zero to me. id rather do larger water changes . I know other people seem to have had better results than me but i can only speak on my own experiences.

BTW i don't think id ever waste my money on any of the other deltec skimmers but when it comes to hang-on's it really has no rival. mostly because none of the rest use a good needle wheel pump.

Kaos
06/18/2006, 08:31 PM
Since Deltec is more expensive and it's the "in" thing now......are Euro-Reef's crap? Not too long ago all these comments I've been seeing about the Deltec were being made about the Euro-Reef. Seems skimmers are like teen idols. They are the must have thing until one comes along that maybe does a little better and is more expensive. My biggest thing is don't get caught up on the band wagon. Right now I see Deltec as being more of a bragging tool then the best skimmer ever.

Right now my "crappy" Remora is keeping my tank healthy and my param's in check. And I didn't have to spend $500 to do it. In a year or two (or more) from now another skimmer will come out and will be more expensive and exclusive than the Deltec and it will fade to the back ground like Euro-Reef has.

Snarkys
06/18/2006, 09:32 PM
anyone who has owned both would tell you differently. id say its night and day but that would be a ridiculous understatement. Read some of the threads on the subject and each and every person that has owned the deltec and another skimmer , specifically the remora , will say the same. Really the only people that say otherwise are the people who have never seen the hang on deltec in action.

the reason people like deltecs are because of the pumps, that's not going to change and isn't a fad its simple fact that the aquabee and eheim pumps are superior. Now some new pump may come out but currently this is the reason why they own the competition.

LBCBJ
06/18/2006, 09:39 PM
Amen Kaos. Its not because they're so good that people sing they're praises, it's probably because they're embarrased to admit that they spent $500 on a HOB skimmer that's worth $200.

CeeGee
06/18/2006, 10:38 PM
my remora pro didn't use a maxijet 1200 it used some flavor of cheap rio. Large footprint? Yes.
Added skimmer box even larger footprint. Rio breaks 3 times. "upgraded" to Mag 3 on recommendation of Aqua C and end up with even larger footprint and skimmer box will no longer cover up the big a__ pump hanging off of a piece of tubing on this excellently designed skimmer.

I am glad that some people are happy with their remoras. I also agree that deltecs are expensive but my remora pro was almost $300 when I got it add in 3 rios and a skimmer box and finally the mag pump I end up at around the price of the deltec. Too bad deltec wasn't around back then.

I for one am embarrassed to say that I have $500+ invested in a piece of plastic that is on the floor next to my quarantine tank. Never owned a deltec cause once again I went with what was in my budget and I am not crazy about the ASM G3 I am running. The build quality is crap. But it is better than the remora pro and hasn't cost as much either.

forgot the whole 1 trillion microbubbles in my tank from the remora pro. Then adding the sponge where the water flows back into the tank that greatly reduced the performance of the skimmer.

s3aL
06/18/2006, 10:46 PM
If you want the "best" go with the Deltec MCE600.

Also, $500.00 isnt that much in this hobby these days. Your better of spending $500.00 from the start then have to purchase 2-3 different skimmers until you get it right.

reefshadow
06/18/2006, 11:32 PM
If you decide 500 for a Deltec is way too much, I would personally go with a modded Berlin hot. I know people say they are crap, but I have had both the Remora Pro and the Berlin, and the Berlin is far superior imo -modded of course-. If you mod the Berlin by possibly drilling out the venturi and definately using a pressure rated pump -I am using a mag 7-, you will have an excellent skimmer for your size tank. I know I am happy with mine. I am getting a full cup of dark skimmate daily, and am going to have to drill the collection cup to collect remotely in the very near future. frick n frags is using the same modded berlin and he is very happy with it as well.

Before modding I was only getting maybe 1/2 cup weekly, I would have told anyone to stay away.

For more than a berlin or remora, less than a deltec, you could check out the tunze doc line. I've heard they are very good, but it is an in-tank unit. looks nice though.

hahnmeister
06/18/2006, 11:48 PM
You could DIY a HOB skimmer like the MCE600 very easily. $50 in 1/4" cast acrylic is all it cost me.

Heres my design for a deltec killer...
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=11660

geckofrog
06/19/2006, 08:43 AM
I got a remora urchin (sump model) and it pulls out thick gunk, black and it will make you gag from the smell. I feel sorry for those out their that paid $500 for a deltec, $200 of that is just for the name.

RichConley
06/19/2006, 09:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7585871#post7585871 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by s3aL
If you want the "best" go with the Deltec MCE600.

Also, $500.00 isnt that much in this hobby these days. Your better of spending $500.00 from the start then have to purchase 2-3 different skimmers until you get it right.

I completely disagree.

Throw a $100 aquabee on a CPR backpack, and it'll keep up with that deltec ($500).

The MCE600 is nothing but a good needlewheel pump thrown onto an extremely poorly designed body.

For that matter, a CSS with an aquabee2000 on it would run circles around the MCE600.

FWIW, check the deltec forums, theres been a LOT of problems with that skimmer. If you're going to spend $500, wait until you can get a sump, and buy a big skimmer (ASM or PCI...you can get a skimmer that will do 500gal+ for less than the deltec MCE600)