PDA

View Full Version : LiterMeterIII or Tunze Osmolator?

reefnewbie54321
06/18/2006, 07:15 PM
LiterMeterIII is $400

vs.

Tunze Osmolator at $175

Auto Top Off is going to have to be regulated extensivly in my tank becuase there is going to be alot of water evaporating due to 2 Cooling Fan Towers and a ATS with a Surge Device running but I dont know if the LiterMeter is worth the extra money. Any feedback or suggestions on the items would be appreciated.

tm613
06/18/2006, 07:24 PM
i vote for the tunze, I have one and it works flawlessly

reefnewbie54321
06/18/2006, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the input ... tunze is looking pretty good right now mainly becuase of the price.

vapor1
06/18/2006, 08:51 PM
I like the tunze Osmolator.I use mine for topoff and supply only kalk as my top off water, if you do it that way, keep a spare replacement pump handy. I think they are around $15...well worth the replacement costs.

reefnewbie54321
06/18/2006, 09:00 PM
I shouldn't be experiencing and kalk buildup on my pumps ... I am running Randys 2 part system on a soft coral tank so Calcium isn't much of a demand anyway.

Thanks for the input

I'm surprised no one with a LiterMeter hasn't chimed in yet. I was told they were the top of the line in Auto Top Off.

collins
06/18/2006, 10:06 PM
I have a litremeter 3 and it is great. the difference is that you can specify the amount that the pump will supply and it will add it gradually.

I like both, but the lm3 allows more control and can run dry without damage

bureau13
06/19/2006, 01:12 AM
While true that the Osmolator pump is not a continous gradual addition of water, the sensor is quite sensitive, so the levels don't drop far at all before it tops off. Also, you can run the Osmolator pump dry until it seizes about 12 times before the costs of pump replacement catch up to the LM :)

jds

PrangeWay
06/19/2006, 07:51 AM
I love my Osmoloator for the 2 levels controls (fill, stop at all costs), and it is on a controller it won't let the pump run longer than I think 5 minutes before auto stopping because you're out of water.

PW

manderx
06/19/2006, 10:51 AM
i usually recommend the osmo to newbies but prefer the LM3 for my own tank. but they don't do things exactly the same way, so i don't think you can say one is 'better' at ATO than the other until you decide which one has the features *you* prefer.

the osmolator uses a float switch to replace water on demand. the LM3 doses a set amount independant of demand (unless you get the topoff module, but even then you still punch in the max amount per day). i feel that the LM3 is safer since you tell it how much to put in per day and it can never put in any more than that no matter what. also won't lock up in an error mode like the osmo can and stop topping off (while you happen to be gone for a few days...) the osmo float bracket holds tight, but you never know, it might get knocked off by a curious cat or child or whatever. i also prefer the LM3 since i don't want it to dump a gallon of kalk in every time i bag a bunch of frags and forget to turn it off first.

but it does mean you have to adjust it every couple weeks to compensate for changes in evap. not really a big deal in my experience, i don't care if my water level drifts an inch or two over time.

if you get the osmolator, you can get a DC peristaltic pump (cheap off ebay) and hook it to the same wires the stock pump uses (several local guys did that and love it). more reliable, no siphon issues, and you can run kalk through it no problem.

LM3 should only be 300, not 400.

PrangeWay
06/19/2006, 11:26 AM
Actually the Osmo uses an infrared sensor, it provides a float switch for the overlow protection.

Sullivmw
06/19/2006, 12:17 PM
If all you will ever use the device for is to top off, then a LMIII might not be the best option for you. That being said, the LMIII is a great tool to add multiple additives, or to top off several tanks with the add-on pumps. I originally bought a top off device, only to have the need for the precision dosing later, so I ended up with a LMIII. Now it doses 3 different tanks for Kalk\Evap.

manderx
06/19/2006, 02:12 PM
Actually the Osmo uses an infrared sensor, it provides a float switch for the overlow protection.

yeah, same thing but different mechanism. i still consider it a 'float switch' in general conversation just because it does the same thing and has many of the same issues. acutally now that i think about it i've seen more issues with the IR sensor than with a mechanical float, with calcium scale, floating wad of algae,... sticking to the eye which keeps it from filling. but not filling is a while lot better than overfilling i guess. i've only seen a mechanical fail once and that was only because it was mounted in a clear plastic box right up in the display tank (no sump) right under a light so algae grew in it.

CCG
06/19/2006, 04:18 PM
If you are going to use a Surge Device then you may not be able to use the Osmolator due to the constantly changing water level in your sump. If that's the case then your only choice is the LM III.

Colin