PDA

View Full Version : My fish is peeling!

Amy83820
06/18/2006, 07:44 PM
I have a true perc clownfish that looks like it is peeling. It's a clear layer (NOT cloudy at all) that is peeling off of it. It looks exactly how a sunburn would peel on a person. It's skin underneath where it is peeling is fine. The fish doesn't seem to notice it at all....swimming and eating fine...not rubbing up against anything.
Any ideas???? I posted this on the disease forum also.

TWallace
06/18/2006, 08:27 PM
Sounds like brooklynella from the description, but pictures do wonders for diagnosis. You need some formalin to treat for brook. Many people recommended treating all new clowns with Formalin, due to the prevalence of brooklynella in them.

Amy83820
06/18/2006, 08:42 PM
Will that hurt a reef? Can you treat your display tank, or do you have to quarintine?

Amy83820
06/18/2006, 08:48 PM
I just looked that up. But he's not breathing hard and doesn't have a white film. It's a clear layer that is peeling off in one piece.
I'm not sure that is it.

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/18/2006, 08:53 PM
QT for a formalin treatment program

Amy83820
06/18/2006, 08:57 PM
Even if i don't know what it is? Shouldn't i find out first? I looked up pictures of brook, and that's definitely not it.

Lunchbucket
06/18/2006, 08:58 PM
sounds like brook but i'm not sure. try the fish disease forum

Lunchbucket

Amy83820
06/18/2006, 09:05 PM
I looked up pictures of brook, and that's definitely not it. The peeling is in one piece and is totally clear and not cloudy (it's exactly like when you get a sunburn and then it peels). He's not gasping for air. His gills and fins are fine. He's not gasping for air. Other than this, he is acting completely normal. He's also not rubbing up against anything.

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/18/2006, 09:06 PM
post a thread in "fish disease treatment" forum...

Amy83820
06/18/2006, 09:11 PM
I did. It says that in my first post.

Lunchbucket
06/19/2006, 04:40 AM
you should be good to go in there then. they can help out a LOT more then most of us.

i hope you get it all figured out quick and no harm comes to your fish

Lunchbucket

Amy83820
06/19/2006, 06:23 AM
The fish is still peeling a bit this morning, but is still fine otherwise. It's just so odd! I've never seen anything like it before. I think if it was brook, he would be dead already. I hear that kill pretty quick. I'm always open to more suggestions...

ANNIESREEF
06/19/2006, 06:34 AM
I read on another forum of a person that experienced the same as you. He said he soaked all the fish food in garlic extreme and with 2 weeks his clown was fine. Not to say that is a cure because I have never experienced your problem. Brook doesn't necessarily "kill" overnight. Just watch him-I sure hope he pulls through. OH, and my fish love their food soaked in garlic extreme!!!

Lunchbucket
06/19/2006, 06:50 AM
a bacterial infection??? no idea i'm not a sick fish fixer :D

Lunchbucket

maroun.c
06/19/2006, 09:01 AM
Formaline treatment are to be performed in a container even outside the QT tank. the fish even has to be cleaned in an intermediate container before getting it back to the Qt tank. Formaline eats teh oxugen in the water this is why it has to be done in baths for a limited time (20 min if I remember correctly) water in the container should be well aerated during this time and the airston should be disposed of and not used again in other tanks. Also formaline should not get in contact with your hands. It's an aggressive treatment but works really good. it's a series of baths performed everyother day for 1 week I think. I don't know if it's safe to do for fish with open wounds or skin lacerations. I used it on an angel that had some parasites on and it was very efficient. I suggest you post in the fish disease section where you would get great info.