PDA

View Full Version : Boy, talk about CO2

Billybeau1
06/18/2006, 09:22 PM
Randy, seeing is believing. My ph has been hovering around 8.2 at night to 8.0 in the morning since spring when I had the windows open around the house. We recently had a heat wave where I had to close all windows and turn on the air for a few days, for my dog and fish and us .

I woke up this morning and my ph was 7.79 :eek1: I have never seen it that low. EVER.

Luckly a front came through and I was able to open up the house today. My wife couldnt believe the ph steadily rose throughout the day. At 10:00 pm I can say happily its at 8.10.

Damn CO2 :lol:

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/19/2006, 06:21 AM
Randy, seeing is believing

:lol:

Yes, it is getting to be a bad time of the year for pH in many locations.

CeeGee
06/19/2006, 12:35 PM
mine is running low as well 7.7 at lowest to 8.0 at the highest. Is there anything I can do?
I am also battling high temps right now as well.

I don't drip kalk. I am running b-ionic 2 part at the moment.

1SickReefer
06/19/2006, 12:40 PM
I am having the same PH issues 7.9 to 8.0 during the day and 7.7. to 7.8 during the night. I even re-calibrated both my PH probes just to be sure. I was dripping kalk, but found my KH at 15, since then I have been topping off with rodi to get it down. going to test today and see where I am, this was last week when I discovered the 15.

Generally Kalk keeps my PH above 8, I am not sure why my KH got so high, Ca was 410. mg 1250.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/19/2006, 12:56 PM
More aeration with fresher air and the use of limewater are the best ways to raise pH, as explained in this article:

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

FWIW, adding buffers is never a good way to raise pH unless alkalinity is sub normal.

scottfarcuz
06/19/2006, 03:43 PM
I always have CO2 problems in the summer, but not in the winter. I can't figure out why that is. We have electric base board heat, and an inwall AC unit. I wouldn't think the AC would cause any excess CO2 buildup. Any idea why that is?

I keep saying I am going to run tubing to my overflows and skimmer from outside.

CeeGee
06/19/2006, 04:05 PM
There is no way for me to run tubing outside. At least I don't think there is. Maybe Randy could chime in on what would be needed to do so.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/19/2006, 05:16 PM
[NB]I always have CO2 problems in the summer, but not in the winter. I can't figure out why that is. We have electric base board heat, and an inwall AC unit. I wouldn't think the AC would cause any excess CO2 buildup. Any idea why that is? [/B]

Any time windows are closed, CO2 can buildup. Most AC units do not exchange air, just heat.

When you cannot open windows, the best option is almost always limewater, or more limewater. Tubing options are usually marginal in effectiveness because the tank top is still exposed to high CO2 air.