PDA

View Full Version : Potter's angel - lost two in the past, should I try again?

ACBlinky
06/18/2006, 10:28 PM
I was at the LFS today and saw two gorgeous Potter's angels. They're hands down my favourite dwarf angel and I'd really like to try again, but I'm terrified to put out another $70 for a fish that may go belly up. I lost my first Potter's to a bacterial infection that just wouldn't heal, and the second perished after an eight-day hunger strike. The two at the LFS are apparantly eating, I asked someone to feed them and he said they had just eaten ten minutes before so they might not take much. They were both interested in eating, picking at the decor, and after a few minutes one of them took a piece of flake and swallowed it. I was sorely tempted, but the store was closing and I refuse to buy a fish when I'm in a hurry. I elected to sleep on it, so I thought I'd post and see what you all thought while I'm at it :)

Kennyboy1984
06/18/2006, 10:31 PM
You better go get it before someone else buys it!

Marinemom
06/18/2006, 11:20 PM
If you want it thay bad,go and get it first thing in the morning as soon as they open up. Then put it in quarentine so you can keep an eye on it and give it some specialized attention. Your success rate will increase by tons if you do it this way.

Marinemom

LargeAngels
06/19/2006, 08:23 AM
They are grazers so make sure the is ample algae in the tank for them to eat. Also try some frozen cyclopeeze.

Also make sure they really are eating before you buy them.

RichConley
06/19/2006, 09:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7586035#post7586035 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Marinemom
If you want it thay bad,go and get it first thing in the morning as soon as they open up. Then put it in quarentine so you can keep an eye on it and give it some specialized attention. Your success rate will increase by tons if you do it this way.

Marinemom

A typical bare quarantine will kill them faster than anything else. These fish need to be able to graze, and they need hiding places.

thor32766
06/19/2006, 09:38 AM
i agree with you rich, one fish that definitly needs hiding and to be able to graze. They are beautiful fish!!!!

emperior911
06/19/2006, 02:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7586035#post7586035 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Marinemom

Marinemom

I'm not a big fan of quarentine, i think it can do more damage then good

ACBlinky
06/19/2006, 03:22 PM
Agreed. I haven't decided yet and may end up choosing not to pick one up (either now or later if these two are gone), but if I do the fish will go straight into the display. I know it's risky, but Potter's don't take well to bare tanks, small tanks or immature tanks. The 65g has lots of LR with different types of algae growing on it, and the back wall has sections of greenery that, while unattractive to my eye, is full of pods and a feasting ground for the fish. There's also quite a bit of Xenia that the fish are welcome to chow down on, it's growing faster than I can keep up with.

marrstarr
06/19/2006, 03:50 PM
I have a Potter and I love this fish. Potters once established are easy to keep. I do live in Hawaii, which I am sure makes it easy to get a good one. I QT for 2 weeks in a 20 gal tank with lots of live rock. Over the 2 week span I got him to eat frozen mysis. Once he started eating the mysis and had no signs of illness I put him in the display tank. He now eats mysis, brine, flakes, and nori.

Marinemom
06/19/2006, 05:51 PM
If you have enough hiding places and ample supplements quarentine will still work. I have had too many problems with not quarentining any fish first. Not quarentinig can risk a lot more than just the fish. However if some fish do better without a quarentine period than you all know more than I do.

Marinemom

thor32766
06/19/2006, 07:17 PM
if you know the potters angel is eating great! once they start eating they are actullay a pretty hard fish.

ACBlinky
06/20/2006, 09:17 PM
Well, I went for it. I called the store today, they said they had one of the three left and he was eating well. This one was actually the staff favourite, but he was the smallest of the three so customers chose the others over him. I visited the store, watched him gobble frozen food and couldn't leave him behind. Now I'm crossing my fingers and hoping he adapts well and stays healthy.
The other fish are chasing him a bit, which I expected, but he seems to be weathering it well and they're already easing up; most of them are all bark and no bite, they just feel the need to boss new fish around for a day or so before accepting it.

ACBlinky
06/21/2006, 11:14 AM
Just thought I'd post an update :)
This morning there was one final spat between the Potter's and the coral beauty, and it's been peaceful ever since. I managed to get a picture of the little guy -- I used the flash to get a clear shot so the colours are a bit off, but you get the idea :D

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a21/ACBlinky/Reef%20fish/Potters_Xenia.jpg

LargeAngels
06/21/2006, 12:31 PM
Nice looking fish. Looks like you got a male. My pair love to eat frozen cyclopeeze. Do you still have that flagfin?

ACBlinky
06/21/2006, 12:47 PM
How can you tell he's a male? I'd love to know how to sex angels :)
I do have the flagfin, he's a happy camper from what I can tell. He's nice and chubby now and has a wonderful personality. He's still only about 2.5" long, hasn't done much growing since I got him (other than steadily gaining weight). I hope to have him for a good long time -- eventually I'm hoping to get a much larger tank, something well over 100g, to accomodate him as an adult :D

ADD--> I've been reading, apparantly males have much more blue coverage than females; if so, it looks to me like I've got a female -- maybe there's more I'm missing though.

I got these pictures from Hawaiifishes.com (http://www.hawaiisfishes.com/fish_of_month/past_fom/fom_04_04.htm):

Female:
http://www.hawaiisfishes.com/fish_of_month/images/Centropyge_potteri_Makua_mtn_F.JPG
Male:
http://www.hawaiisfishes.com/fish_of_month/images/Centropyge_potteri_Makua_mtn_M.JPG

Here's another picture of my Potter's so you can see the entire fish:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a21/ACBlinky/Reef%20fish/Potters1.jpg

I'm not sure if this one helps, but according to the above site males have much more blue on the tail, I think mine looks like there's less:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a21/ACBlinky/Reef%20fish/Potters3.jpg

Here's one of the flagfin and Potter's together, they're getting along very well -- you can see they're pretty much equally sized, maybe that helps.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a21/ACBlinky/Reef%20fish/Potters2.jpg

BlueNWhite
06/30/2006, 11:32 PM
They look great! How big are the angels? Which LFS did you pick up each of the angels from? I'd love to get a Potter's too. How does it compare to the Rusty Angel?

Thanks,
Raymond:)

FroMan
07/01/2006, 09:11 AM
not to sway you one way or the other, but my GF saw one and "had to have it" yesterday at the LFS. So there is now one happily swiming around my tank. I think it freaked out my goby though :(

ACBlinky
07/01/2006, 05:04 PM
BlueNWhite - Both are around 2.5", just little guys. I've purchased two from Big Al's Scarborough, one from PJ's Yorkdale. The most rescent was from BA's. She did GREAT for six days, ate everything in sight, and then on day seven she started breathing hard and hiding. That night she was dead on the bottom. Nothing changed with the tank or the other fish, I have no idea what happened.
FroMan - best of luck. They're absolutely stunning fish, but IME it's incredibly hard to find a healthy one.

BlueNWhite
07/01/2006, 09:48 PM
Best of luck with this Potter's. Keep us updated.

Raymond

ACBlinky
07/02/2006, 01:49 AM
BlueNWhite if you meant mine, sorry if I wasn't clear. By most recent, I meant this one. She did great for six days, then a few days ago we lost her to unknown causes. I love these angels, but I really don't know if I could go through that heartbreak again... not to mention, it's a little hard on the wallet.

Anthony597
07/02/2006, 10:06 AM
i got mine for $36 at an LFS he loves to chomp on that Angel Formula, those frozen cubes, thought it might help

tatoofr
07/02/2006, 12:01 PM
Hi,
Do they nip at any corals?
Thanks,
Frank

ACBlinky
07/02/2006, 11:06 PM
Anthony -- thanks, I do feed Hikari Angel formula to all my angels, along with mysis, Marine Cuisine and pellets. I also make sure seaweed sheets are available to them all day long so they can graze at will. I'm certain the problems I've seen in the Potter's I've lost are due to collection issues or 'shipping stress', not anything dietary, as I've had other angels for months that are doing really well.

tatoofr -- as with any Centropyge, there's no guarantee they will/won't nip coral. IMHO there are no 'safer' species, it really depends on the fish, but Potter's have a good reputation as far as reef safety goes.

colby
07/03/2006, 02:25 AM
When I was in Hawaii recently I saw these guys , mainly juvies(very few though and they wer down deep...)and hey sure are fun to watch...

Good luck and keep us posted...

FroMan
07/03/2006, 07:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7671655#post7671655 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ACBlinky
Anthony -- thanks, I do feed Hikari Angel formula to all my angels, along with mysis, Marine Cuisine and pellets. I also make sure seaweed sheets are available to them all day long so they can graze at will. I'm certain the problems I've seen in the Potter's I've lost are due to collection issues or 'shipping stress', not anything dietary, as I've had other angels for months that are doing really well.

I've noticed that my angel isn't eating when I put food into the the tank. I normally feed mysis plus some algae flake.

At feeding time the potter's just swims around and doesn't seem interested in food...

Its been 3 days since I purchaced it and i'm getting a touch worried. It doesn't seem to be showing signs of stress. Its seems to be happy swiming around.

ACBlinky
07/03/2006, 09:41 PM
You have reason to be worried IMO. Try putting a seaweed sheet in the tank (on a Nori clip or under the magfloat) for the angel to pick at when he feels like it, and if you can find mussels (live or raw frozen), feeding them on the half shell sometimes entices picky eaters to feed. IME once they start refusing food it's downhill from there, but maybe you'll get lucky. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

chocolates mom
07/04/2006, 01:00 PM
My Coral Beauty took about 7 days before he started eating like he should. First couple of days he pecked at the substrate. After a few days he started taking small bits of Nori, then all of it and finally eating everything in sight.

FroMan
08/05/2006, 07:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7676302#post7676302 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FroMan
I've noticed that my angel isn't eating when I put food into the the tank. I normally feed mysis plus some algae flake.
At feeding time the potter's just swims around and doesn't seem interested in food...
Its been 3 days since I purchaced it and i'm getting a touch worried. It doesn't seem to be showing signs of stress. Its seems to be happy swiming around.

quoting myself for an update. While i've been generally concerned about the potter's he's still verry fat and has not lost any visable weight. Last night I figured out why...

He goes to town on the seeweed selects that I put in the tank. He patiently keeps picking at the rocks, but once the acintitics turn off... DAYUM! He just mowed down half a 2" x1" sheet in a couple of seconds!

So I'm not so worried about him. Althogh I will be keeping a close eye on him.