PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea Prizm Pro Skimmer - adjustment problems

waywaywest
06/18/2006, 11:32 PM
Hi, I've had the above skimmer since I set up my 70g Aug/05 and have never really been happy witih the amount of material being taken out. I'm using the optional basket that comes with the "Pro" version, but it doesn't seem to be that active a skimmer; you can barely see anything being sucked in at the surface level, and I've always had a kind of "slick" coating much of the surface water that the skimmer doesn't seem to be able to eliminate. Anyone have any tips on setup? Problems?

Thanks!

fishdoc11
06/19/2006, 07:35 AM
To be honest that skimmer is just not very good. A couple of things I learned when I used one years ago. The "venturi"(located where the suction tube goes into the pump) gets clogged up with Calcium very often if you dose. I fationed a clothes hanger with a filed down tip to be able to clean it out without removeing the skimmer from the tank every week. Also the surface skimmer is so small that unless your water level is extremely stable it will not work properly. I would manually adjust mine once a day to skim all the gunk off the water surface and then put it back a little lower so it wouldn't run dry.
hth, Chris

waywaywest
06/19/2006, 10:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7586815#post7586815 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishdoc11
I would manually adjust mine once a day to skim all the gunk off the water surface and then put it back a little lower so it wouldn't run dry.
hth, Chris

Thanks! How did you adjust it? I'm using the basket attachment, and the water level is always in between the top and bottom of the intake slots; it doesn't even look like water is being pulled in from the top the draw is so weak. Any tips on adjustment would help. What skimmer are you using now? I have to have one that hangs on the tank as i have no room under the tank for a stand-up kind; an no sump.

Thanks

fishdoc11
06/19/2006, 12:18 PM
You have to adjust it so that the water level is below the slots inside the cup and then put it back...it's not very easy to do. I can't remeber exactly how I did it because it's been a while. I am running an MR2(soon to be MR3 with extension) now but I changed to a tank with a sump a couple of years ago. A sump makes things sooooo much easier. For HOB skimmers you are really stuck with a Remora pro or a Deltec(most others are not worth having) with the Deltec being the better skimmer from what I have read. I have a smaller Remora on my 29 and I like it but quality control with Aqua C seems hit and miss from what I have read....some work great and some don't. At least that's the way it seems reading about them on RC.
hth, Chris

rtgordon
06/19/2006, 01:09 PM
I used one for a year and a half on my 45g. The skimmer is overrated by the mfg in my opinion. The amount of flow through the skimmer alone is indication enough of this. I had it setup hang on the back (no basket) and it never pulled very much. I moved it to the sump, and it did much better. Every couple of months, when you notice a decline in performance, take the pump off and clean it. Clean the impeller and impeller housing with toothbrush and qtip. It helps it out. You continually have to adjust the flow as the pump gets used. I would keep the water level a little above the o-ring for drier skimming, and about an inch above the o-ring for wetter skimming. hth.

gordon

waywaywest
06/19/2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks Gordon. This is the first skimmer I've used so I have nothing to compare it against as far as how much or how well it's skimming. It IS pullign out some nasty smelling green crap, but as far as I know there's no test-kit to determine the efficiency. Or is there?

GobyJohnKenobi
06/19/2006, 07:31 PM
I have the smaller Prizm Deluxe. Like you, it's my first skimmer and I need a HOT skimmer.

I removed the surface skimmer for about a week, and I noticed a surface film forming. After I put the surface skimmer back on, I noticed that the film went away. So.... I guess it works.

The best mod that I found for it is to raise the skimmer body about 1/2 inch or so above the top of the frame. This allows you to increase the flow without overfilling the collection cup with wet foam.
I usually adjust the flow so the bubbles travel down the second chamber without turning the corner and going under the primary reaction chamber to eliminate micro-bubbles.
I also put the media basket in place to act as a bubble trap and put some ( not much ) back-pressure and a good place to add some Purigen in a bag.

An easy trick to make it a bit quieter is to firmly pinch the air tubing until you no longer hear the pump chopping air bubbles, and then slowly release the tubing.

I also cut a piece of aquarium underlay padding and fit it under the pump shroud to act as a sound baffle, but still allow air flow to cool the pump ( Sorry no help, since the Pro doesnt have the shroud. )
Worked wonders to quiet my skimmer.

All things considered, and despite the bad "rep" they seem to have; I'm satisfied with the skimmer.

I hope it works well for you, too.

rtgordon
06/19/2006, 08:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7589221#post7589221 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by waywaywest
Thanks Gordon. This is the first skimmer I've used so I have nothing to compare it against as far as how much or how well it's skimming. It IS pullign out some nasty smelling green crap, but as far as I know there's no test-kit to determine the efficiency. Or is there?

I misread your post...I thought you meant the prizm deluxe. I was thinking prizm deluxe when you said prizm pro. I have no experience with the prizm pro. Although, I think that it is similar.

ziggy222
06/22/2006, 08:48 PM
i've had the regular prizm in a 29gallon for 5yrs or so and it works great although the water going through it is very slow and mine does'nt have the surface skimmer attachment.i'm deffinately gonna use it when i get my 50 gallon but i may get the pro like you.if your getting lots of gunk in the cup then don't worry about it.i point a powerhead at the surface of the water to keep it clear.i was told that i could get bad algae with surface scum blocking the light