PDA

View Full Version : Best way to feed phytoplankton

waywaywest
06/19/2006, 12:20 AM
I've been using Cyclop-eeze to spot-feed my Hammer, but it doesn't seem to be all that enthused about it. Any other ideas as to how to feed this stuff? I've thought about releasing it into the water column, is that useful? I have the Hammer, a sebae, a carpret, a mushroom leather and a brain.

Thanks!

bllfish
06/19/2006, 07:47 PM
Release it and let powerheads move it throughout the tank. Turn off main pump for about 30 min.

bertoni
06/19/2006, 07:53 PM
I turn off the protein skimmer in my tank for a few hours when I feed phytoplankton. You could also consider this coral food recipe:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176530

waywaywest
06/19/2006, 08:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7591040#post7591040 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bllfish
Release it and let powerheads move it throughout the tank. Turn off main pump for about 30 min.

By "main pump" I guess you mean the canister filter?

bllfish
06/19/2006, 08:28 PM
Yes, just make sure to turn it back on. Might want to put it on a timer if you feed around the same time each day. I have all of my pumps on a Red Sea Wavemaster pro. It actually has a feeding stage so you can press one button when feeding and it turns off the main pump, in your case the canister for 30 minutes then turns it back on automatically. The powerheads continue to function while the main is off so their is plenty of changing current to push the food around the tank..

waywaywest
06/19/2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the tip on the timer.

Cyclop-eeze is pretty hard to see in the tank; how do you knwo how much to feed? I've got a hammer, a sebae, a carpet, a mushroom leatehr and a brain that I assume would benefit (I've got fish as well, but I'm assuimg they're not too interested in the phyto).

Thanks!

bllfish
06/19/2006, 10:13 PM
A little goes a long way - trial and error - start with a little

waywaywest
06/19/2006, 10:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7591994#post7591994 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bllfish
A little goes a long way - trial and error - start with a little

I'm not that bright...what's "a little"? I usually re-hydrate a tsp full in a shot glass, btu up until now i've just been trying to spot-feed the hammer, not release it into the water column...Spot feeding teh hammer doesn't work that well I've found, the stuff won't adhere to it very well.

bllfish
06/20/2006, 03:12 AM
I would try a half teaspoon and rehydrate and mix with some mysis shrimp. Don't spot feed but pour into tank and let the powerheads mix it in the tank. You might want to try this when MH are off.