PDA

View Full Version : Filled up tank with tap water and prime and its cloudy..?

EnderG60
06/19/2006, 08:33 AM
Ok so Im setting up an old oceanic 110 and ran all the plumbing, filled it up with tap water and some prime and let it run.

The next day it was a tad cloudy and then over the next few hours it got real cloudy, like a nice milky tint. It has no odor or anything, just coudy.

So I put some carbon in there to see if that helps, but what could have caused that? The only thing I can think of is the prime reacted with the PVC glue or teflon tape...

jelwyoming
06/19/2006, 09:05 AM
Many times, things like iron in the water will oxidize once sitting in a tank and they will cloud things up, especially since it came from tap water. The carbon should clean it up. PVC glue and teflon tape should be none reactive once dry. There may have been alot of particulate in the water as well. Did you check the TDS (total disolved solids) of the water before you added the Prime (and salt)? Good reef water should have a TDS near zero. Check your tap water. TDS meters are cheap at about 20.00. You cannot use the TDS meter on saltwater for that purpose.

HippieSmell
06/19/2006, 09:49 AM
It may be calcium precipitation because of high calcium content in the tap water.

jelwyoming
06/19/2006, 10:18 AM
Have you put in the salt yet?

EnderG60
06/19/2006, 11:49 AM
nope no salt yet just prime and water.

Im confused as to why it was clear for a full day and then went cloudy.

Carbon was on for a full day and no change, so we drained it and refilled it up this time without adding prime.

HippieSmell
06/19/2006, 07:05 PM
Never mind about the precipitation if you hadn't added salt yet. I had this happen to me once too but it was after I added salt.