PDA

View Full Version : help

schristopher
06/19/2006, 04:12 PM
We're looking for an expert, reputable "reef doctor" in the area. Due to recent grease fire, our 150 gallon salt water was damaged from protein film, smoke, heat, ect. We need the doctor! :rollface: We need to reestablish water chemistry and restock the tank. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sk8r
06/19/2006, 04:20 PM
I don't know your area, but: test your water: I recommend Salifert: bring it back to ocean standard. Remediate with additives. Run polypad resin pads [they look like dishwashing scrubbers] to remove chemicals and possibly combustion products from the water. Run carbon. A lot of it. Skim wet, and keep dumping. Make up more saltwater and do a 20% water change, and then do it again.

Keep testing. If you don't have polypads in your area, get one of the online vendors to do an overnight shipment.

I would not restock immediately. Let the water quality come up and stabilize for at least a week before starting to build up again, and start with the inverts just as you did at the beginning: worms, snails, hermits, copepods, until your tank is alive again, before starting with fish and corals.

So sorry you've had this mess!