PDA

View Full Version : powerhead fell = sand everywhere

twnship
06/19/2006, 07:37 PM
So thats what happend and it blew sand all over the place. I unplugged it and fixed the sand and rocks but now i cant find my metallic mushroon. I think its buried somewhere well i know it is. So what to do i looked for about a hour and couldnt find it. Will it just die or will it find its way back to the top of the sand? If it dies do i need to be concerned or will it be ok? Its only bout the size of a quarter.

Thanks to those that reply.
Tim

bertoni
06/19/2006, 07:54 PM
I would guess that it'll die, if buried, but I don't think it'll cause a problem.

twnship
06/19/2006, 08:18 PM
Thanks Bertoni i can always count on you atleast responding to stuff. Thanks again.

Tim

ghostrida3
06/19/2006, 09:34 PM
what kind of powerhead, does it have suction cups, i hate that. you leave your tank looks great, everythings jst where u want it u come home and its a snowstorm w/ a big whole in your sandbed that takes weeks to get back even. Theres gotta be somthn more sturdy than suction cups

don954
06/19/2006, 10:45 PM
glue magnets (rare earth preferred) to the mounting surface of the power head, use another set of magnets on the outside of your glass to hold in place. You will want to coat the inner set with your epoxy or silicone so they wont corrode.

c_stowers
06/19/2006, 10:51 PM
The mushroom may not be burried or dead. When things like this happen, they will often shrivel to an unnoticable size. Give it a few days before you count it out. I definately wouldn't use suction cups to mount powerheads, the magnet idea works well, but can be expensive. You can also fabricate your own hangers frob plastic and use zip-ties.

bertoni
06/20/2006, 01:02 AM
One of the vendors actually sells magnetic mounts for powerheads now. I think I saw them at PremiumAquatics.com, but it might have been MarineDepot.com. There are probably other vendors as well.

twnship
06/20/2006, 08:19 PM
Tanks you guys for the responses. Everyones help is much appreciated. Ill look into something else to mount the ph's as to avoid this from happening again. Thanks again

Tim

oh and there maxijets i got 2 1200's and a 900 in my tank right now and i still dont think its enough flow

s2svetko
06/20/2006, 10:11 PM
makes me worried since mine are on suction cups

cyclops23
06/20/2006, 10:41 PM
suction cups suck, i had the same problem with them falling and spraying my sandbed everywhere. i just glued the piece on that lets them hang from the side of the tank. twnship, in the DIY forum, there's a thread called "hitchhikers guide to the maxi jet mod" or go to www.mjmods.com. all it does is makes the impellor longer and use an actual propellor instead of the flat blade impellor that they come with. i did the mod to a 900 and a 1200, i think i almost have too much flow, the difference is incredible. i spent around 2 hours trying to postion them so i would have a section of the tank with lower flow. compared to my initial setup, 3 powerheads and still had a lot of dead spots. i really suggest doing this mod, and pretty cheap. the guy at mjmods is awesome with his customer service, and will help you out in the process (he helped me huge). just trying to help, this solved my flow problems in a hurry.

twnship
06/21/2006, 03:28 PM
Cool deal Cyclops. Ill look into it tonight. If its as easy as you say i will try it out.

Thanks
Tim