PDA

View Full Version : skimmer problem

nick063
06/19/2006, 07:58 PM
I have had the same problem with two different skimmers, i used to have a jebo 180 and now i have a red sea prizm skimmer but i have the same problem with both which is when i turn on the skimmer and adjust the air valve my collection chamber just overflows with water its not skimming anything, any suggestions? maybe its a bad pump? thanks for the input!

fsn77
06/19/2006, 08:33 PM
Are they new? I had the same problem with my skimmer (different brand) right after I first set it up. Mine was used, but I thoroughly cleaned it before installing it. It took a few hours, but it eventually settled down and started skimming properly. Now, it works fine -- I guess it just needed to get a little dirty.

nick063
06/19/2006, 08:42 PM
They were both new, I suppose I could give it some time and hopefully it will fix itself. Thanks.

drowningdreamer
06/19/2006, 08:51 PM
I have the Prizm currently running on my system ASM G4X in storage. If you tighten the air knob then yes it will rise and overflow if your water flow is set too high. Tighten it to create smaller bubbles, then turn the water flow knob to reduce the flow in. That way you'll have small bubbles and no wet overflow into cup. Right now I have it full on air and 1" from tip of cone. Big bubbles but it still skims alright so I don't mind.