PDA

View Full Version : ICK Help!!!

flrman
06/19/2006, 08:50 PM
Help, not sure what to do. I have upgraded my 55 gallon reef tank to a 120 now. It has been running for about 4 months now with out a problem. I noticed ICK starting about a week ago. I currenly have a porcupine puffer, yellow tang, hippo tang, some clowns, and some damzels. I have 3 anemones, star fish, and some mushrooms. Any suggestions. I have been using Kent Garlic additive to thier food for about a week. but now it seems to be getting worse. I think my protien skimmers is under powered right now, but will that make a difference? Trying to get a good skimmer, but not sure which one i should get. Any help would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks, Carl.

Freed
06/19/2006, 08:56 PM
If you have a QT tank use it for the fish in the main tank. Take them out and put them in it. PERFORM HYPOSALINITY ON THE QT TANK. This means to drop the salinity in the QT tank to 1.009 for at least 4-6 weeks. This will kill the ich on the fish and any ich that will be in the QT tank. Meanwhile, the ich in the main tank will die with no fish to feed off of BUT you must leave the main tank fishless for AT LEAST 4-6 weeks and even longer if you want to be absolutely sure there is no ich remaining. You can even leave the fish in HYPO for the same period. Make sure you use a refractometer to measure the salinity in the QT. A swing are hydrometer may not be calibrated and could potentially cause the death of the fish in QT if it is off by a few hundredths. The only thing you need in the QT tank is a few pieces of PVC for the fish to hide in, a heater, air driven sponge filter and maybe a very small powerhead for circulation. USE QT ON ANYTHING WET IN THE FUTURE YOU INTEND TO PUT IN YOUR MAIN DISPLAY. You could possibly bring home ich that is hanging out in the water that your new arrival is in with a coral or an invert or even some live rock. Practice the above info I have given you TO THE T and you will never have ich in your main tank again. GUARANTEED.

flrman
06/19/2006, 09:01 PM
Thanks, for your help, It migh be a chanage to try and get all of them out of the tank with about 150 lbs of live rock, but i will try your sugestion. This bigger tank is a little more involved than with my last 55 i had going. Thanks. Carl.

Lambianz
06/20/2006, 07:25 PM
Hello just got ride of mind, bought pur garlic cloves crunched them up in a bowl added some of my aqarium water and mixed it up. then when i feed the fish i soak what ever iam feeding them in the bowl of garlic and water then feed them . This was while i was using kick ick by Rally, you can buy on line from marine depo

picnic
06/21/2006, 06:05 AM
had a minor out break of ick.really was only on my hippo.my six line wrasse went to town hippo looks better and i continually feed with garlic

mickyfin
06/21/2006, 10:26 AM
If your kids got paracites, would you consider soaking their food in garlic or giving them the treatment perscribed by the Doctor?

Of course you would give them medicine.

I suggest the same course of action with fish. Isolate. hyposalinity or copper treatments.

unfortunately garlic has no effect on paracites and no proven effect on immune systems of fish.

gary faulkner
06/21/2006, 01:46 PM
Hypo all the way! No more worries.