PDA

View Full Version : How important is water temp?

Ram2003
06/20/2006, 09:41 AM
just recently purchased (4 days ago)a sea bae good size. I also purchased a green carpet. The green carpet is doing fine but the seabae will attach it's foot. should I be worried? should I place it? Water quality is perfect. 450 watt Metal Halide is that to much? Can you have to much light?

bboy aqua
06/21/2006, 05:23 PM
how deep is your tank?
anemones will usually wander around the tank untill they find a good spot and theyll stay there
let them choose there spot

Amphiprion
06/21/2006, 05:55 PM
How long have you had the carpet? How large is the tank? That is great that water quality is 'perfect', but can you provide numbers? The sebae may never do well with the carpet in the same tank, depending upon the size of the tank and anemones. Some people have better luck, though. It is not a good sign that it is not attaching, but I would turn off your circulation pumps for an hour or so. This would at least provide some calmness to facilitate attachment. The light may be too bright--initially anyway. Like bboy asked, how deep is the tank?

Ram2003
06/22/2006, 12:33 PM
First of all thank you for your responses, I almost gave up. My tank is 100gal 2.5ft deep. As of last night my seabae has moved to the back of the tank I'm guessing this is because there is less water movement.my Nitrite 0 ppm. Nitrate 0ppm. Ammonia 0 ppm. Ph 7.8.
What type of trace elements would be best.

Amphiprion
06/22/2006, 12:48 PM
What is your salinity/specific gravity? It should be around 1.026-1.027 or 35 PSU. IME, temperatures anywhere from 78-83 are tolerated, with temps from 80-82 being ideal, IMO. Your pH is on the low end--do look into carefully raising it to around 8.2-8.3. The anemone may have moved for many reasons, only part of which could be lighting or water flow. It could very well be searching for the proper substrate. Mine actually tolerates very high flow, so long as it is intermittent.

Ram2003
06/22/2006, 01:53 PM
I have heard that 1.022 is best for specific gravity. Mine is 1.020-1.021 I heard this from the LFS guy. What do you think? What will I notice if I raise my specific gravity? I just added Marine Buffer to raise my PH.

Amphiprion
06/22/2006, 05:17 PM
First, be sure you have an accurate means of testing salinity/specific gravity. This includes refractometers, conductivity meters, etc. If you know someone that has one, use that. They are worthwhile investments (you can get some cheaper, reasonably accurate ones, as well). IME, by raising it to natural seawater levels, you will notice a more robust and 'happy' anemone--the same applies to temps, IME. I am afraid your LFS guy is probably quite misinformed. you may notice increased vitality, though it is hard to say, depending upon its condition to begin with. Do you have a pic?