PDA

View Full Version : Help with New Tank

Cynfull653
06/20/2006, 11:52 AM
Im looking for some help on wether I should do a water change and how to get my numbers okay so I can start enjoying some fish action
I recieved a 150 gallon tank that had 3 large damsels but had a lot of algae we broke it down moved it and it is now up and running fine
Salinity 1.023
Temp82
Ammonia1.0
Nitrites.25
Nitrates15
I have done some reading and questions to my lfs and am confused as what my next step should be should I have the numbers for nitrate nitrite and ammonia at 0 before adding fish to cycle? Should I do a water change at what percent??
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as everyones differnt views are very confusing...TY

hawaiianwargod
06/20/2006, 12:15 PM
Cynfull653
[welcome]

hawaiianwargod
06/20/2006, 12:22 PM
Ammonia1.0
Nitrites.25
Nitrates15
These numbers should be zeroes...except for nitrates. It can be done with proper filtration such as using skimmer and using macro algae to lower nitrates. if the tank still cylcling just wait for a few days and change water around 10 % every two weeks. If no more ammonia and nitrites shows up on your test, it should be good to add few fish and work your way up. hth!

'02CaReef
06/20/2006, 12:29 PM
IMO, you should not add any fish because your tank has not complete the cycle -- presence of Ammonia and Nitrite. When they reach 0, you can do water change to reduce the Nitrate. Then if this is a fish only tank, you can add fish... slowly because fishes can tolerate some Nitrates. For now you can leave the tank alone to complete its cycle. Putting live rocks or supermarket shrimp in the tank will help accelerate the process. Don't cycle with live fish.

delor
06/20/2006, 04:59 PM
Glad to see you are rescuing a tank. I would highly reccommend WaterKeepers threads for your learning experience. They are very informative yet still fun to read.

I would start here (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239848&perpage=25&pagenumber=1) .

Good luck and have fun.

And remember the only things that happen quickly in a saltwater aquarium are BAD things.....