PDA

View Full Version : Power filter question

sage_commander
06/20/2006, 07:51 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm a rookie with a brand new 46g bowfront AGA. I'm buying equipment as I'm able, and I'm looking at a power filter like the Marineland Emperor 400. I'd like someone to correct me if I'm wrong, but I figure this is a good choice for me because:
1) I'm going to have a skimmer to handle mechanical filtration,

2) I'm going to have LR for bio filtration,

3) I can use the power filter for chemical filtration (only when I need it?)

4) It's supposed to be a good choice for beginners,

5) I'm going FOWLER intending to upgrade as I get better.

So what do you think? I was looking at some of the more expensive filters, and figured I would get something reasonably priced so that I could get a *GOOD* skimmer. Is this a good way to go? Thanks.

Avi
06/20/2006, 08:11 PM
I don't think you'd need the powerfilter at all if you are going to have a substantial amount of live rock, say a minimum of 50-pounds and a good quality protein skimmer. If you need to run carbon or some phosphate reducing medium, it'd be all right, though.

sage_commander
06/20/2006, 08:17 PM
Hey, thanks for the reply. The only thing I was thinking I would need it for is to run chemicals like carbon. Is there another way to dose the water?

ghostrida3
06/20/2006, 08:41 PM
use a filter sock w/ activated carbon if u want to polish the water, dont buy the emperor, please dont buy the emperor, u will just get rid of it eventually. its a haven for nitrates and just not needed if you have the live rock. i bought one and now its just a nice hang on the back holder 4 my homemade kalk dripper. once again do not buy, use your money 4 a good protein skimmer.

IslandCrow
06/20/2006, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I'd skip the power filter. Like ghosttrida3 said, the protein skimmer is where you really make your money with a reef or FOWLR tank. Canister filters are quite nice, though a bit more expensive, and certainly not necessary. It's just a convenient way for me to run carbon or a micron filter for water polishing since I don't currently have a sump.

sage_commander
06/20/2006, 09:40 PM
I don't have a sump either. I don't know if ghostrider was aware of that. So what would I do if I need to dose or polish the water? What about one of the ones that just basically pumps water through a filter sock with whatever in it? I'm saving my "fancy dollars" for the skimmer.

ghostrida3
06/20/2006, 10:42 PM
i dont have a sump either, i use an empty millenium filter to run water through filter socks if i need to. But w/ the 80lbs live rock d 60 1bs live sand and the powerheads in my aquarium i dont have any problems, water parametrs stay where they need to. no amonia or nitrates. i run kent phospban in the filter socks and drip kalk thats about it, i got 2 1200 maxijets and a seaclone which i plan on replacing eventually but it actually does an ok job. ive gotta pretty heavy bioload w/ the 2 large percs, 3 chromis, blue tang, lawnmower blenny, 275 nassarius snails, 100 hermits. i still never have any spikes.

ghostrida3
06/20/2006, 10:43 PM
oh yeah, phosban makes a reactor which is pretty much jst an empty plastic tube that you can put carbon and phosban in no sump needed, u can probably get off of ebay fr 60, i woudl get one of these before i wasted any money on biowheel.

sage_commander
06/21/2006, 08:12 AM
OK, I found this:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=11586&N=2004+113427

I think that's what you're talking about. And that's all I'm really looking for. So hook a powerhead to this thing and I'm good to go, yes?

Avi
06/21/2006, 08:20 AM
that's really all you'd need....you could run the chemical medium in a canister but it would be more convenient and efficient in a reactor like that.

sage_commander
06/21/2006, 08:26 AM
Cool. The less stuff hanging off my tank the better. That's what I'll do...then I'll be back to bug everyone about my next piece of equipment. Thanks.

ERICN
06/21/2006, 09:10 AM
look into building a sump bro just do it now if you stay in this hobby I guaranty after a year or so you will have one so just get it now :)

sage_commander
06/21/2006, 09:38 AM
My tank is not reef ready. I do have another tank (used) that I was going to try converting to a reef ready tank, but I want to get some experience under my belt.

ERICN
06/21/2006, 10:39 AM
don't need to be reef ready to have a sump. lot of people run fish only tanks and have sumps the benefits of it are just incredible.

sage_commander
06/21/2006, 11:29 AM
What I mean is that mine does not have an overflow. Doesn't your tank need one to have a sump?

Avi
06/21/2006, 12:22 PM
Not at all. There are hang-on overflows that work very well. I have two on my reef that have been trouble-free for three years. I'd recommend the kind with the U-tube. They may appear complicated at first but they really aren't and make things a lot easier for you and make having a sump, with all its benefits, a breeze.

http://www.salinesolutions.net/aquafiltrationsystems/HangOnPrefilter1.jpg

From the side:

http://www.aquacorals.com/Pics/DryGoods/Overflows/Overflow%20Diagrams/OverflowBoxSetSM.gif

ERICN
06/21/2006, 12:33 PM
Real simple bro just get a 20g tank or so put baffles in it. you can find threads on here on how to do that, you need the overflow box, and a return pump. you plumb it all with flexline or like 1" PVC pipe going to and from main tank. this adds water volume, a place to hide heaters and other equipment like protein skimmers temp gauges all this stuff. you can even grow macro algae in this as a refugium.