PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Replace Bottom Panels?

SteveOhh
06/20/2006, 09:18 PM
So I pick up this free 60 gallon hex, stand & canopy last weekend. Looks in good shape, but dirty & bottom of tank is still filled w/ sand. I take the tank outside today to clean it & once I remove the sand from the bottom, I see the bottom of the tank cracked thru & thru!! Looks like the bottom is either 7/16" or 1/2", but there's no way it'll hold water w/ this crack.

Question is ....................does anybody here replace bottom panels in tanks? If so, it'd give me a nice opportunity to turn this into a RR tank. OR would it be more cost effective to just buy a new tank. I was looking forward to shutting down the 29 gallon & transferring everything to the 60 hex. It's been suggested to silicon a thick piece of acrylic to the glass across the entire inside bottom of the tank. I'm thinking that with the bottom panel cracked, the structural integrity of the tank is compromised. Is this so? Anybody have any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance...

Steve :D

don954
06/20/2006, 11:03 PM
I would say the bottom panel needs replacement. Use a scraper blade to remove the silicone from it and separate it from the tank. Take it to a glass shop and have them make a new panel. While your at it have them drill it for an overflow and return pipe if you don't already have one on the side. :) When you re-install it be sure to clean all residual silicone from the old seem, and be sure to get the new aquarium silicone into the joint. im sure if you search there is a how-to on doing the new seal..

kamla
06/21/2006, 11:44 AM
if it was me i would re seal the whole tank..
take all the walls apart get a new glass fo rthe bottom...
old silicone des bold well wil new silicone..
HTH