PDA

View Full Version : Queen angel in a reef?

pennyguy23
06/21/2006, 08:44 AM
Has any tried putting a queen angel in a reef before? I really want to put on in mine but I don't know. Has any had any good new with this?

thor32766
06/21/2006, 09:38 AM
a friend of mine has one in his reef, for almost three years never had problem so far.

jmaneyapanda
06/21/2006, 10:33 AM
I would think it would only be amatter of time, before the queen starts mauling everything in sight. Holocanthus angels are very destrcutive of invertberates, even though their diet in the wild is mostly sponges and algaes. Unless you have a unlimited supply of such sponges and algaes, I would guess it would only be a matter of time.

pennyguy23
06/21/2006, 10:44 AM
I can buy sponges to feed him. I am worried about my coral. I have big mexican snails so I am not worried about him downing one of those. Would it be better to get him as a sub-adult or Adult?

jmaneyapanda is that just something you read or have encounter. I have read just bout everything I can about these fish. I am looking for someone with experience with them.

trueperc
06/21/2006, 11:05 AM
The big question is what corals do you have in your reef ?
And if you have any type of meaty lps, zoos, polyps, and possible clams, then the next question would be what is more important to you to keep. Allthough I do not have a queen yet, I do have a majestic, flagfin, singapore and juv emperor, I have been lucky with them not really touching my clam but as for corals I keep mainly sps's a leather and mushroom, right now I am alos trying out gorgonians, but to for me the fish are more important and I will learn as I go. I am going to be hopefully trying a french soon too. I love my angels and they seems to do fine with no meaty corals, make sure to keep them well feed and make sure to start using angel forumal food. You don't have to run out and buy sponges

pennyguy23
06/21/2006, 02:23 PM
I have a majestic also and he doesn't touch anything. I also have a blue face and again, leaves everything alone. Fish are more important to me also. Thanks for the input.

Does any have one in a reef???

Kahuna Tuna
06/21/2006, 02:43 PM
There probably isnt a worse choice for a reef safe angel than a queen and sooner or later they will start sampling.

jmaneyapanda
06/21/2006, 02:49 PM
penny;

It is experience for me. I had a sub adult queen (about 4 inches total) in my reef for about 2 weeks, and the damage was significant. I haven't had any other expereince with other holocanthus, as you could say I've learned my lesson. Everything I had read had turned out to be true. In my tank, the first things to go were the caulastrea and lobophyllia, followed by nearly all my mushrooms and zoos. After they were gone, I decided to get the fish out (about 10 days of carnage). It then mowed 2 clams before I finally dismantled the rock to remove it.
For this reason, I say proceed with caution, all those people who say keep big angels out of reefs may be right!

jmaneyapanda
06/21/2006, 02:53 PM
also, I have kept pomancanthus angels with some limited success! I had an emperor who only bothered aiptasia (yes!), mushrooms, and zoanthids (d'oh!). However, clams, LPS, SPS- nevered touched em. Its jst the french, greys, cortez, queen, blue, etc. that seems to be reef tank wreckers.

steveo32
06/21/2006, 05:45 PM
I tried it and it was fine in a mostly softie tank until i got an open brain and it went after it the second day it was in. So I tore my tank down to get it out. I won't try anything thats iffy anymore.

pennyguy23
06/21/2006, 11:04 PM
You tor down a tank for any open brain??? Must have been really pretty. Because the Queen is one of the best looking fish I can come up with.

Gary Majchrzak
06/21/2006, 11:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7602563#post7602563 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kahuna Tuna
There probably isnt a worse choice for a reef safe angel than a queen and sooner or later they will start sampling.
Kahuna has a lot of years of experience and I agree with his post. I'd listen. Of course, if your idea of a reef aquarium is bare rock- go for it!

ddboy
06/21/2006, 11:19 PM
Mine was about 4 inches, and beside clams, he even eats my carpet anenome. and he got sick after eating that. the stomach just blew up like a balloon.

witfull
06/22/2006, 04:46 AM
also consider adult size of the fish, a sub-adult at 4" is nothing, wait till it peaks out over 12" and is hungry all the time. it will eat stuff.

but it sounds like you have your mind made up already and just want reassurance. they are not a reefsafe fish.

SDguy
06/22/2006, 07:59 AM
Well, I had a 12"+ blue angel for several years that would eat/sample ANY invert added to the system. It even ate my CB shrimp while it was molting. I know it's not a queen angel....but very similar. Just my 2 cents.

PS - It was amazing what large pieces of food it could ingest with what seemed to be a small mouth.

hth

pennyguy23
06/22/2006, 08:47 AM
Has anyone had any better luck with a French angel?

ddboy
06/22/2006, 11:39 PM
I have a blueface and I just added a clam, and it doesn't even look at it.

jmaneyapanda
06/23/2006, 10:51 AM
I'll leave you alons after this- but I think a french will be just as bad. If you really want a large angel ina reef tank, I would suggest the scribbleds or perhaps a yellow tail (personifer). Maybe not as cheap, but I think a better fit.