PDA

View Full Version : seahorses!

TonyGee29
06/21/2006, 02:25 PM
how do you acclimate them because i am really really thinking about buying one this weekend this guy i having a sale and they are only 20$

i really want one and this would be my only chance

ReefNutPA
06/21/2006, 02:37 PM
Unless you've already done some research and have a dedicated tank already set up for the seahorses, I'd pass on the offer. Your 10 gal tank would not be large enough, especially if there are already fish in the tank.

Tom

CodyH
06/21/2006, 04:36 PM
Also, for that price, a seahorse would most likely wild caught with possible pathogens or very young and not easily cared for (especially if feeding on live foods rather than frozen)

Why would this seahorse be your only choice, if you don't mind my asking?

TonyGee29
06/21/2006, 06:51 PM
well i have a 38 which i made salt and i wanted a sea horse soo this fish store in CT where i live is having a sale and there seahorses that are normally 50$ have gone down to 20$

and there isnt anything in the 38 other than sand

TamiW
06/21/2006, 09:31 PM
Is the tank cycled? Seahorses cannot tolerate even low levels of ammonia and nitrite. If its not cycled I would pass.

Also, verify they're eating frozen and they're captive bred before getting them. If they tell you something stupid like they can eat live brine shrimp or survive off naturally occurring "pods" then punch them in the head - er, I mean pass on buying them.

You will need more than just sand. Live rock is important for them, though you don't usually want as much as a standard reef. You'll also want something for hitching posts.

Hyskulhero
06/22/2006, 11:09 AM
Please research seahorses needs before you buy one. I just started my 45 gal, and have been reading up on sh's for about 2 years! Go with a captive bred sh. More expensive, but hardier and trained to eat frozen shrimp.

TonyGee29
06/22/2006, 06:19 PM
ahh man......

i guess ihave to do more research and hope another sale come up

km133688
06/23/2006, 08:43 AM
have him show you the horses eating frozen mysis shrimp. If they eat it with gusto, then you have mAde the biggest hurdle to keeping horses.

Wild caught tend to have parasites. Ask them were they got the horses and if they are wild caught.

Also ask what kind they are. Different horses have different water temp needs. You will need to turn down your tank temp to a maximum of 76 for most of the "EASIER" species, lower would be better. This means you will need to keep them in an air-conditioned room.

You can keep them with other animals and corals, but your choices must be careful or you must make tank design changes. I keep 4 Kuda in a reef tank, but the tank is is essentiallly two tanks because I have created a rock divider that splits off one third of the tank for nothing but the horses. They occassionally find their way over to the other side of the tank but usually only when they are hiding because they want to hatch babies, or are looking for some pods to snack on between meals.

In then end, I paid 250$ for 4 Kuda seahorses via the mail. There were captive bred and already eating frozen mysis. I use Hikari brand because it is smaller. Hesitant as I am to suggest it, if these 20$ horses are eating frozen mysis, and your 36g is set up correctly and cycled, then I would say go ahead and get two. Try to get a male and female if you wAnt to try and raise babies, or two females if you don't. You be risking only a small amount on with two of them.

Yes... we all want you to get captive bred for sure, but sometimes there are opportunities to not pass up.

I caution with these notes:

1) make certain they are eating frozen mysis
2) make certain your tank is ready for them
3) only get two, that way you loose little if they die
4)*** don't mix species because of disease issues
5)*** don't put CB horses in later if these are not CB unless you are ready to infect new horses with whatever ailments the first pair has.
6)*** if you keep anything else in the tank, don't keep anything that will compete for the mysis food of your horses. Other animals will eat the mysis, but you'd want animals that don't eat lots of it too fast for the horses to eat their share.

Good luck, Kevin

TonyGee29
06/23/2006, 01:25 PM
thanks kevin

it is a captive bred H. reidi

but i dno if i am gonna get it now

TamiW
06/23/2006, 02:13 PM
You're making the right choice. Even if you get them at a deal and you're not ready for them, you'll likely spend much more trying to get the tank right in a hurry and treating stress related diseases. Nevermind the cost of replacement if the unthinkable should happen.

If they had the sale once, they'll have it again.

I'd guess they are from ORA, as ORA has had huge sales on their captive bred reidi before.

One other point to make; you should still quarantine captive bred seahorses. They may pick up diseases at the distributor or in the fish store. It also helps you ensure they are in fact eating frozen since you can monitor feeding habits more closely.

TonyGee29
06/23/2006, 02:24 PM
thanks for all the help everyone!