PDA

View Full Version : Looking 4 large center piece fish

edwar050
06/21/2006, 04:05 PM
Title says it all
Ideas include bluethroat trigger and harlequin tusk for my 120 gallon

The inhabitants include medium sized valentini puffer, purple firefish, chromis, pair of percula clowns, and mandarin dragonet. I am low on motile inverts but am concerned about aggressiveness with the trigger or the tusk. Was thinking about tangs for a while as well but am concerned with ick. Other ideas include coral beauty and flame angel but they can be hit or miss I suppose. Which would be the least risk, the dwarf angel or the trigger/tusk? Thanks in advance,

Brad

Torno
06/21/2006, 05:36 PM
Im pretty sure bluethroat triggers are one of the least aggressive triggers, and can be kept in pairs. Harlequin tusks are pretty passive too. Personally, I love the colors on the tusk, but it's all about preference.

mitchelwb
06/21/2006, 10:59 PM
I love so many of the different wrasse, but the harlequin tusk just isn't one of my favorites. Like Torno said... it's your preference though.

dpeek
06/22/2006, 12:16 AM
Harlequins are beautiful fish but they will dominate any hermits/snails/shrimp they see. A pair of bluethroats, sargassums, or crosshatches would make a nice addition.

witfull
06/22/2006, 04:40 AM
personally, i dont think a 120 is big enough for a pr of BTT and a tusk. a male BTT will lose his color over time without a female.

SDguy
06/22/2006, 08:38 AM
If your tank is 6ft, I think a healthy, quarantined powder blue tang would be a great centerpiece fish. JMO.

pennyguy23
06/22/2006, 08:58 AM
The tank is to small for a pair Crosshatch triggers. But I agree with the Power blue. Very pretty fish.

hgbarwick
06/22/2006, 09:12 AM
Purple Tang

Monkeyfish
06/22/2006, 09:15 AM
Purple or Hippo tang
Flasher or fairy wrasse harem

Fishwhisperer
06/22/2006, 10:12 AM
ok if money is not issue what fish could be better than a zebrasoma gemmatum !!!!!!!

bskiba
06/22/2006, 11:30 AM
Is that a gem tang?

I would get a regal angel, mystery wrasse, goldflake angel, or a moorish idol that eats flake.

edwar050
06/22/2006, 01:36 PM
Thank you for the listings of fish. I am not concerned with the load of fish becasue all of my fish combined when full grown will equal about the equivalent of one full grown yellow tang. I would love to house a Morish Idol and have given it some thought. I plan on oneday doing a fairly large system and may give it more thought then. I will also transfer the larger two fish from this system to that, like 7 to 10 years down the road. I plan on buying juviniles but want them to be able to do well in my tank. I have a ton of arches and the fish I select should live a cave type system with and low to mid level swimming speed taking most tangs out of the question. If i got a regal and it was shy I would see it very little. I am looking for a fish with a personality where its usually out and about but fairly peaceful but not over energetic in swimming

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f251/edwar050/June22.jpg Here is another pic of my sump total water volume is about 150 gallonshttp://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f251/edwar050/june12.jpg

The only real concern I have is for my fish due to ick from a tang and possible aggressive nature from the trigger or tusk once larger. Would a pair of blue throat male & female triggers be to much for the bioload. I don't plan on getting all of these but may get a dwarf angel and then one more over about 6 months.

Monkeyfish
06/22/2006, 03:36 PM
How about this? http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=315

Dert42
06/22/2006, 03:38 PM
sailfin tang.
little freshwater dip, boom no ich.

edwar050
06/22/2006, 04:53 PM
I am not a big fan of the sailfin tang and I thought the soldier fish was not reef safe or at least partially aggressive. Thanks for the input though - I am leaning towards a pair of bluethroat triggers. Is it true a male trigger will loose his color without a female trigger? Anyone know a good site to buy bluethroat triggers from, I saw some for pretty cheap on marine depot live. I buy all my fish locally but they charge about 90 bones for the trigger. Whats the likelyhood that a harlequin tusk or a pair of bluethroat/jaw triggers would be agressive to my smaller fish, which should I go with? If I get the tusk I will get Australian and add a dwarf angel, if I get the triggers I will add them as a pair. Both will be small about 4 inches when added.

Monkeyfish
06/23/2006, 04:36 PM
"Whats the likelyhood that a harlequin tusk or a pair of bluethroat/jaw triggers would be agressive to my smaller fish...?"

Pretty darn good. The harlequin will eat just about anything that will fit in his mouth and though blue throats are relatively mild for triggers and USUALLY don't bother other fish, but they're still triggers. Your best bet is to add the aggressive fish last so he doesn't perceive other fish as trespassing in his territory.

Manderin
06/23/2006, 11:26 PM
nice touch with the gatoraid bottle, actually its good advertisement for the comany

edwar050
06/24/2006, 03:47 AM
As I have never kept a Tusk or trigger I am unsure as to the extent of their aggressive nature. Often in this hobby people say things cannot be done, ex. my valentini puffer in my softie tank. I have been getting mixed and conflicting view on the tusk and bluethroat/jaw trigger. I have a friend thats got a niger in his 135 with some smaller fish and its nearly full grown with sucess. A TOTM a couple of years back had a tusk in a reef mixed with other fish. I was just wondering how they would fare with individual compatability, specifically the medium sized clowns, purple fire fish, bi-color blenny, or compete with my valentini puffer on food.

Brad

:confused:

I am not forcing this, its why I am doing the research
;)

pennyguy23
06/26/2006, 09:21 PM
Most people people should EVEN THINK about getting a moorish Idol. You better have ALOT of experience to try and keep one of those. They really should be kept in the ocean.

The soldier fish is NOT reef safe. I will each just about anything it can fit in its mouth if its hungry

Monkeyfish
06/26/2006, 09:57 PM
In regards to people's advice - Fish have different personalities just like people. Also, you need to take into consideration that you are (in most cases) taking an animal out of its natural habitat and placing it in an artificial one. When people say, "don't put a puffer in a reef" this is based on what would most likely happen (ruin corals) which is in turn based on its behavior in the wild and in some home aquariums. There are exceptions, but to place a puffer in a reef is taking a risk. If you are willing to take that risk then go ahead, just be prepared for all possible outcomes.

Some tusks and blue throats are pushovers and bother no one. Others will devour every snail in the tank and bully fish smaller than themselves. You are taking a risk. People on these boards generally tend to give advise erring on the side of caution so we will advise against adding these fish.

dougie
06/26/2006, 10:41 PM
i think a bi-color angelfish would be a wonderful addition, and dosent grow to big either. but thats my opinion :)

waterfaller1
06/27/2006, 04:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7608861#post7608861 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by edwar050
I am looking for a fish with a personality where its usually out and about but fairly peaceful but not over energetic in swimming

Then do not get a tusk or trigger...they like to swim. How about a pair of bellus angels? I have a female and waiting on a male, a beautiful and sweet fish.

bskiba
06/27/2006, 11:43 AM
I had a bluejaw for a few months. He didn't like when I put my hand in the tank. he was reef safe except he liked playing with snails. I got rid of him when he accidentally put bite marks in my blue tang. he really wasn't attacking him they were all just going after food aggressively.

gary faulkner
06/27/2006, 12:55 PM
Flame Angel would be my suggestion. beautiful fish. Hit or miss, maybe. I and others have had no problems.

Would be worth a try.

Monkeyfish
06/27/2006, 01:51 PM
If you are looking for a large, colorful fish that is not a fast swimmer and is relatively peaceful consider the longhorn cowfish and the popeye catalufa a.k.a. short big eye.

edwar050
06/27/2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks for some great listings of fish,

pennyguy23- I am not thinking about keeping a morish idol now, I may consider it if I have a great job, a big home, and a 500 to 1,000 gallon tank in like 10 to 20 years and then I will still contact people like Paul B before doing it.

I am still so stuck on deciding on the finishing touches over the next 6 months on fish for the 120. I can add about 10 to 15 inches of fish, would like it to be two large fish, and would like them to be as reefsafe as possible. My primary reason for not getting a tang is the 4 ft swimming room of the 120 and ich, though I do like them.

I am leaning towards a flame angel, coral beauty, bellaus angel, or harlequin tusk. I believe I crossed out the trigger. The cowfish is likely to fight with my puffer over food and could be potentially toxic to the tank. I have 4 ft of swimming room with lots of overhangs, its why I have been leaning towards a tusk for some time.

Thank you for the help all -
Brad

tylorarm
06/30/2006, 08:54 PM
I had a bluethroat and tusk in the same tank for some time, and they got along well. Surprisingly the tusk was slightly the boss. However, the bluethroat liked the water column and the tusk weaves through the rocks, so they don't compete directly. Neither pick on any other fish in the tank, but none are small. Unfortunately the bluethroat jumped out, and now it's just the tusk and other friends.