PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have anything to say of these pumps?

binaryterror
06/21/2006, 05:53 PM
I was looking for a pump for my future 240g, and came across this site. it is far cheaper than marinedepot.com, and it sounds like the same thing! The pump I am talking about is the very 1st pump ES8500. I know the head isnt high, but I am using it under the stand. So it will be under 4-5' of head. Thanks

binaryterror
06/21/2006, 07:57 PM
Here is the link... sorry!

http://www.azponds.com/new%20sequence.htm?source=google

MarineHabitats
06/21/2006, 08:52 PM
I've used them before....they are decent pumps.

Low electrical consumption, very quiet. I know the early models had problems with seals going, then causing the pump to corrode or leak water onto the floor.

Check out the sequence pumps...the Reeflo series is very popular.

If you want something really nice, get a pump with a Baldor motor. I know RK2 uses their motors. Many manufacturers make the head unit w/impeller and then use another company to make the actual drive motor.

Just remember to keep the output size up to the tank, if you restrict this type of pump it will reduce the output quite a bit.

LBCBJ
06/21/2006, 08:54 PM
Dolphines are good pumps, just make sure it can handel saltwater, which that one appears to.

binaryterror
06/21/2006, 09:05 PM
Thanks guys. It says that if i reduced it to 1.5" PVC, I would still get 6500gph. Is that true? I would go for the Reeflo series, but i am on a tight budget. And every saved doller counts (more rock and fish!). Do you have a link to the pumps your talking about (RK2)?

MarineHabitats
06/21/2006, 09:24 PM
I know custom aquatic has them. But they start at about $500 :eek2: But very nice pumps....

I'm not sure about your head pressure question. I would keep it the same size as the PVC coming off the head unit, up until you get into the tank, then you can reduce it. Or if you run multiple lines you can reduce them all slightly...

binaryterror
06/22/2006, 06:49 AM
yeah, thats what I was thinking of doing. Would it be OK if I put a Turbo Eductor on the end of each outlet from this pump? The biggest they make them is in 1", so it will further reduce the output line but the Eductor should make up for that right?

RichConley
06/22/2006, 08:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7606535#post7606535 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by binaryterror
yeah, thats what I was thinking of doing. Would it be OK if I put a Turbo Eductor on the end of each outlet from this pump? The biggest they make them is in 1", so it will further reduce the output line but the Eductor should make up for that right?

NO

Eductors only really work on pressure rated pumps.

Are you running this sump/tank or as a closed loop. I would highly reccomend NOT running 7000gph through your sump.

binaryterror
06/25/2006, 10:27 AM
This would be my sump return...

funstarfish
06/25/2006, 11:12 AM
why why why? turn over as little water as your skimmer will skim through the return and use flow pumps to provide flow in your tank. running high volumes through the wsump is just not fun. the less you run there the better chance of eliminating those nasty micro bubbles.

binaryterror
06/25/2006, 12:01 PM
Well, I dont want to spend the money on 2 pumps when I could just have 1 return. I guess I could buy a cheap pump, but that will still be an extra 150 bucks that I could spend on rock, ect.

Beenalongtime79
06/25/2006, 12:16 PM
do it right the first time and you will be happier in the end. Save up a little longer and plan this thing right. A closed loop circuit will make your life much easier than trying to flog your sump with flow.

Beenalongtime79
06/25/2006, 12:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7606961#post7606961 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
NO

Eductors only really work on pressure rated pumps.

Are you running this sump/tank or as a closed loop. I would highly reccomend NOT running 7000gph through your sump.

This statement is just not true. Flow pumps can still generate decent head to work on some of the larger orifice eductors and penductors.

I think a better statement is that, you will not see as great an increase in educted fluid using a lower pressure flow pump. However, it should still work for you.

Peace,
John H.

prugs
06/25/2006, 04:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7625413#post7625413 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by binaryterror
Well, I dont want to spend the money on 2 pumps when I could just have 1 return. I guess I could buy a cheap pump, but that will still be an extra 150 bucks that I could spend on rock, ect.

I hope it doesn't sound like we are picking on you.

Get yourself a reeflo dart for a closed loop 165 watts.
Then get yourself a posiden T2 for your sump return 90watts.

Both pumps are virtually silent and their total cost would be about the same as the dolphin ES8500. And you'll have 100watts of extra electricity to blow on higher wattage lighting.

You cannot run that big pump thru your sump without a lot of noise. Trust me, I tried running a reeflo dart thru my sump because I wanted only one pump. The noise of the water cascading over the overflows & splashing in the sump was terrible.

binaryterror
06/25/2006, 05:34 PM
Oh, now I understand what you guys mean. But will that be enough flow for a 240g long? It is only a FO tank, but I wanted high flow since it is going to be BB.

binaryterror
06/25/2006, 05:58 PM
Ok, I am going to get the Poseidon PS4 pump, and have it as my return. I am going to split the output into 2, and add a penductor to each. Then I will get the Dart, and use it as a closed loop (2 inlets, 2 outlets) without penductors.

Also, how much flow do you think the penductors will increase the PS4 pump (1225gph)? Thanks

prugs
06/25/2006, 06:24 PM
I tried a PS4 pump & I thought it was too much flow thru my 75gal sump. Replaced it with a PS2.

Also on a closed loop, you don't have to drill the tank for extra holes, you can just go over the back of the tank. Just like a cannister filter would be plumbed.

I have 2 x 1.5" inlets that join to the 2" intake.
4 x 1" outlets off of the 1.5" pump output.

binaryterror
06/25/2006, 06:39 PM
What about a PS3 then? I want it to have an effect on the flow in the tank as well as the Dart.

prugs
06/25/2006, 07:23 PM
You could always put a ball valve on the output of the pump to cut the flow, should you decide it is too much. The PS3 & PS4 have the same wattage usage.

binaryterror
06/25/2006, 07:55 PM
I am not too worried about watts, since my lighting is for a FOWLR.

Beenalongtime79
06/25/2006, 08:51 PM
binary terror,

Get the two penductors and place it on the PS4. You will be happy with the results. You will not get 1225 X5 gph of course since the penductors do drop your flow down substantially.

You can probably expect b/w 2,000 and 3,000gph educted through that combination. I get about that amount through my two eductors and my Mak4. The total flowthrough should be cut down to about 600-700 gph. This is of course all an estimate, but you should not be disappointed with the results.

Peace,
John H.