PDA

View Full Version : Impulse Buy

smatter
06/21/2006, 08:19 PM
I am such a fool. I had a 25% off coupon for the LFS and had a coral picked out. I asked the girl to bag it and she said the coupon was good for fish and inverts only. Last time I checked corals didn't have backbones. So I'm annoyed and browsing the store when I spy a turquoise haddoni marked at forty bucks. Pretty cheap for an unusual color so I grabbed it up. There is nothing in my tank except for the snails and hermits that have been in there for four months so it can park anywhere it likes. I am just mad at myself for buying it when I had envisioned an SPS dominated tank, now it will dominate, if it survives. It wasn't sticky at all. It would be cool with a pair of black polymnus living in it.

55semireef
06/21/2006, 09:13 PM
Got any pics?

smatter
06/21/2006, 09:37 PM
Not yet, I will try to post one soon.

witfull
06/22/2006, 04:31 AM
first off,,,i would have said something to the owner/manager, an anemone is an invertebrate. second,,,why did you buy something that wasnt in your game plan? i know impulses but this just changed everything. third, buying a carpet that is not sticky isnt good.

good luck and if he survives and you want to go back to SPS, ill pay 40 and shipping~

Toddrtrex
06/22/2006, 08:46 AM
Assuming that it stays alive and whatnot, IMO you will still be able to have SPS. Haddoniis prefer being in the sandbed, with their foot under a rock. I've had both in the same tank for over 3 years now. The only issue I've ever had is if a frag falls onto the anemone.

smatter
06/22/2006, 11:21 AM
Yeah, it'll just take up most of the real estate. I got the discount on the anemone, they were trying to say that corals were not considered inverts. As of right now it is not looking good. If anything I got him out of the sewer at the LFS and let him have pristine water for his last days.

kellyandcarrie
06/22/2006, 11:40 AM
"Pretty cheap for an unusual color" was the color bright or dull? "It wasn't sticky at all." A carpet thats not sticky is a carpet that has givin up all hope. Try uploading a pic at photobucket or something like that so we can see.

55semireef
06/22/2006, 01:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7605201#post7605201 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 55semireef
Got any pics?

bluerug
06/22/2006, 02:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7607056#post7607056 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
Assuming that it stays alive and whatnot, IMO you will still be able to have SPS. Haddoniis prefer being in the sandbed, with their foot under a rock. I've had both in the same tank for over 3 years now. The only issue I've ever had is if a frag falls onto the anemone.
I can agree to this they love being under a rock on the sand bed.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j281/blue_carpet/IM000980.jpg

55semireef
06/22/2006, 04:33 PM
Bluecarpet, how do they actually dig their foots into the sand? I was just curious on how they wedged them in.

bluerug
06/22/2006, 04:37 PM
Well they just seem to dig their way through the sand until they get under the rock and i believe they attach themselves to the bottom of the glass.

55semireef
06/22/2006, 04:41 PM
Hmmm, I just got a tube anemone, I wonder if he will do that?

bluerug
06/22/2006, 04:55 PM
Tubes love a dsb, and do not need strong lighting for they are not phtosynthetic but in fact they are nocturnal, you need to feed him a lot for this reason. What color is the tube and how big is it?

55semireef
06/22/2006, 08:20 PM
The Tube is a pinkish orange. They actually are photosynthetic but are also filter feeders. Its a good size but not huge or anything.

He lost his tube at the lfs but is now already building one in my tank.

55semireef
06/22/2006, 09:24 PM
Dr. Fostersmith- "The ideal aquarium for the Tube Anemone is one with a deep sand bed, plenty of live rock and a refugium for a natural food source. They are non-photosynthetic and do not require intense lighting. In fact, they are nocturnal in nature and will take time to begin to open during the illuminated hours.

Because they are not photosynthetic, they need to be fed regularly when it is fully expanded. Feed small frozen foods such as brine or mysis shrimp, chopped pieces of fish and zooplankton."

Tubes love a dsb, and do not need strong lighting for they are not phtosynthetic but in fact they are nocturnal, you need to feed him a lot for this reason.

Looks like you just looked it up too. lol. I guess they are not photosynthetic.