PDA

View Full Version : Baby Clowns...?

hrdneglcry
06/21/2006, 08:21 PM
Monkeyfish. ........What do you mean by "Baby Clowns"? I mean what size does that description cover? I find my 3.5-4" Clown Trigger begging for food at least 3-4 times per day, and I usually feed him that often.

LRS078
06/22/2006, 02:24 AM
at 3-4" he is beyond the "baby" stage but still not full grown. If the fish doens't have to compete hardcore with other fish for food then please provide him with shell on mussells and shell on clams. This gives them access to highly nutritions food that can be removed if there is any uneaten (not likely) after 12 hours without "fug" building up in the system.

Hope this helps....

hrdneglcry
06/22/2006, 08:14 AM
Yes. He is alone in the tank except for Hermit Crabs that I keep in there to eat the food that he picks through. I feed him a frozen mix of Whitefish, scallops, Salmon, shrimp, tuna, peas, and garlic. No need to caution me about the Hermits. I keep them in all of my Trigger tanks for clean up duty. I keep their shells updated with many extra shells to choose from. I know how important it is to keep their shells upgraded. I keep the Triggers pretty well fed, hopefully enough to keep them from eating the Hermits. Some of the Hermits are larger than the Triggers, and some are not. In any case it is a risk that I will continue to take becasue the crabs are so beneficial to the tank. My plan is to stay far ahead of the shell upgrade game.

Monkeyfish
06/22/2006, 08:45 AM
"Baby clown" = 1-2 inches. During this stage they are growing rapidly and due to their relatively small stomachs need multiple feedings daily.

Most fish will learn to "beg" for food whenever they see you including full grown lions which should not be fed more than 2-3 times a week. A trigger that size will do fine on twice daily feedings. Just remember to try and get some veggies in him. I've found mine like Ocean nutrition frozen formula 2 IF it's the first food they're given during a feeding.

hrdneglcry
06/22/2006, 09:11 AM
OK. My frozen food has peas in it, and I try to offer my Triggers Spirulina flake during the week which most of them enjoy. Thanks.