PDA

View Full Version : Aged TBS Rock

MJAnderson
06/21/2006, 09:54 PM
I'm setting up a new tank and someone locally is selling some TBS rock from a tank that has been running for 3 years. Looking at your site, it seems your big selling point is the variety of life on the rocks and how it helps "jump start" a system. Can anyone comment on the rock itself? If you were to choose between 3 year old TBS and 3 year old Kaelini, what would you chose?

Jocko
06/22/2006, 11:25 AM
I would think that your choice would simply come down to aesthetics. If both rock options are truely 3 years old, then they will both have alot of life on them. Both will do an excellent job as biological filters.

Which shapes do you like better? What life is on the rocks? What colors of coraline are on the rocks. Just look at both and choose the one that you think looks nicer.

You also get a surprising amount of biodiversity from the TBS live sand. If you weren't already planning on it, be sure to get some live sand from 1 or more people to seed your new sand bed.

boodwah
06/22/2006, 11:27 PM
I swear by TBS. For one, they do not harm the enviroment. They seed their rock on a barren area in the Gulf of Mexico. Number two, their rock has a LOT of life on it. Number three, they will not shortchange you on the weight sent. I don't think they count the box and water. Number four, they ship via air freight for you to pick up at the airport. So instead of shipping overnight or two day, you get it the same day. It just takes a few hours to get from Tampa to your airport. Number five, they ship with plenty of water. Everything in my orders arrived alive and well.

Wes

figuerres
06/25/2006, 05:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7605474#post7605474 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MJAnderson
I'm setting up a new tank and someone locally is selling some TBS rock from a tank that has been running for 3 years. Looking at your site, it seems your big selling point is the variety of life on the rocks and how it helps "jump start" a system. Can anyone comment on the rock itself? If you were to choose between 3 year old TBS and 3 year old Kaelini, what would you chose? well i'd say this:

look at the tank it's in, see how it looks compared to the fresh tbs rock and then form an opinion.

for example I have tbs that I have had for about that time...

a lot of good stuff on it but I did lose some life between learining what to do / not to do and florida storms and moving the tank.

so see what kind of corals, worms etc... are on the rock and in the sand...

also look at night if you can, a *LOT* of things hide during the day and come out at night.