PDA

View Full Version : Refugium-what are they for

izzie
06/21/2006, 10:11 PM
I know what a refugium is but im wondering why they are important. Im also wondering why a sump doesnt work as one. Im running a 55g tank with a 20g sump that has 4 sections. a return section a middle section that i have my skimmer heater and uv in, a section the water comes into from my overflow and then a section for my cheato(sp). Wondering if a refugium would be a good idea. Thanks

altezza
06/21/2006, 10:16 PM
yeah what is a refugium??

doox00
06/21/2006, 10:17 PM
your section with the chaeto is your fuge then, it helps lower nitrates in your tank and export nutrients which help to lower algae problems and such.

mcurl98
06/21/2006, 10:27 PM
a fuge is an area (usually part of a sump or a separate container) that does not have fish/predators in it. Two main reasons for it-nutrient export, which you are accomplishing with the chaeto, and pod/plankton production (for food). A fuge usually has a slower flow rate than a sump so, while the chaeto will export nutrients, it might not be a great haven for pod production. Also, with a 20 gal sump divided into 4 sections, any type of fuge might be too small to be effective. A fuge can always help but you'd need to shed more light on your stocking to determine if it would be necessary. For my 90, I have a 40 gal fuge and a 40 gal sump.