PDA

View Full Version : Setting up chiller and heater to work together?

Conceyted
06/21/2006, 11:36 PM
Well, we just got our 1/10 JBJ arctica chiller today. We hooked it up and noticed the way it works. When the tank temp reaches one degree over the set desired temp, the chiller is activated and works to bring the tank temp down to one degree less than the desired temp. From there the tank is let to climb again and brought back down again. My problem is that I am wondering how to set the heater? I want to keep the tank around 78 degrees. The chiller can do this but if I set the heater to come on at anything under 78 degrees then the chiller will be trying to reach 77 and the heater will be trying to reach 78. thus they will be working against each other. What do you all do to combat this situation?

clkwrk
06/21/2006, 11:47 PM
get a ranco dual stage or single stage contoller both have a 1 degree diff. ..Ex. desired point 78.chiller comes on @ 79 and goes off @ 78. or they can be set for different swings like 2 degree and so forth . But it always turns off at desired temp not 1 below.

clkwrk
06/21/2006, 11:48 PM
BTW I oown the jbj 1/5th and 1/3rd I use rancos on both .

Conceyted
06/22/2006, 12:02 AM
does it turn off at the desired temp due to the ranco? or is it just setup with the jbj that way? Mine seemed to turn off later than the desired temp. As far as the controller. I have a reefkeeper 2 on the tank that allows for temp controlling. However I wasnt sure it was a good idea to use a controller ont he chiller since it is essentially turning the chillers power on and off.

clkwrk
06/22/2006, 12:08 AM
The ranco turns the power on and off.....it is fine to use another controller besides the built in one .....Just set the built in one for 1 degree below your desired temp . That way your controller either ranco or rk2 will be in control.

Conceyted
06/22/2006, 12:09 AM
oh alright then. looks like theres an easy solution to this after all :) thank you!

clkwrk
06/22/2006, 12:17 AM
NP.......I was using aquacontrollers but icecap ballasts messed with my temp probes so instead of changing ballasts I just pulled the old rancos I used for fans out problem fixed.

rickh
06/22/2006, 03:14 PM
If you want the tank to be 78--set your heater at 78. Set the control on the chiller to 79. When the tank reaches 80 the chiller will drop it back to 78. This is how most chillers work, 1 degree + or - the set point. R

clkwrk
06/22/2006, 03:22 PM
yes but why have a 2 degree swing when you can a 1 degree which can't be provided by the chiller.

rickh
06/23/2006, 12:35 PM
I would be concerned about switching off the power to the chiller while it is in a cooling cycle.

Conceyted
06/23/2006, 01:10 PM
same... anyone else?

larryl
06/23/2006, 02:25 PM
yes but why have a 2 degree swing when you can a 1 degree which can't be provided by the chiller.

I don't think a couple of degrees is a lot to worry about. Daily temperature variations in nature can be bigger than that (e.g. here (http://www.reefland.com/rho/1105/reefc7.php)). I have a JBJ chiller and do similar to what rickh suggested: set the heater for 78 and the chiller for 80, so the water never gets below 78 or over 81 and the heater and chiller are never running at the same time.

So you don't necessarily need a controller, but that being said, there are other advantages to using one. For example, if your heater thermostat gets stuck on (which happens far too often), the controller would turn it off if the temperature went over 79, but without the controller it would keep running, and the chiller would be running against it.

Larry

FuzzyLogic
06/23/2006, 04:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7615062#post7615062 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rickh
I would be concerned about switching off the power to the chiller while it is in a cooling cycle.

Why? A "cooling cycle" simply means the compressor is running. The compressor is ON or OFF. I don't believe the chiller's built-in temp controller does any special shutdown procedures before cutting power to the compressor.

clkwrk
06/23/2006, 07:04 PM
Sorry but my sps do not like 3 degree swings. Either do the bacteria in your system.

Also the ranco wouldn't shut a chiller down during the cooling cycle unless the temp has been reached then its supposed to . Also the JBJ chiller can be adjusted for more than a 2 degree swing so haveing the chiller shuting off before the ranco shuts of wont happen unless theres a malfunction.

I will also say what goes in tyhe ocean doesn'tgo for our tanks you can in now way compare a glass tank to the ocean .....

Conceyted
06/23/2006, 07:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7617458#post7617458 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clkwrk
Sorry but my sps do not like 3 degree swings. Either do the bacteria in your system.

Also the ranco wouldn't shut a chiller down during the cooling cycle unless the temp has been reached then its supposed to . Also the JBJ chiller can be adjusted for more than a 2 degree swing so haveing the chiller shuting off before the ranco shuts of wont happen unless theres a malfunction.

I will also say what goes in tyhe ocean doesn'tgo for our tanks you can in now way compare a glass tank to the ocean ..... I think he is just saying that the ranco is shutting the chiller off while it is still cooling because its shutting off a degree earlier than the chiller shuts itself off. Maybe a chiller company can answer this more effectively?

clkwrk
06/23/2006, 08:21 PM
I own 2 get out your manual :D

Conceyted
06/23/2006, 08:57 PM
hehe the jbj manual is so short... not much info available at all

larryl
06/23/2006, 10:36 PM

I agree the more stability the better, but I am just speaking from my own experience, and what I know is that mine do fine and are growing like crazy. I don't personally know anyone who attempts to keep daily fluctuations controlled down to one degree, and yet I have seen a lot of impressive tanks with great SPS growth, including a past RC "Tank of the Month" person. I am not sure what you mean about the bacteria though.

Larry

clkwrk
06/23/2006, 11:39 PM
There is more alive in our systems besides corals ;) Perhaps the things that cause rtn are related to other things which trigger rtn.

So while a coral can handle some extream changes bacteria that lives in the water can not . So maybe that alk spike temp swing or ect has an effect thats smaller than we can see and then in turn that causes something more noticeable.

clkwrk
06/23/2006, 11:41 PM
@ one time I thought it was the corals that need stability but after lots of reading about bacterias and the effects of eviromental changes upon bacteria I have come to realize that it is more or less or its or mini enviroments as a whole that need stability.