PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Tank...which fish?

The Saltwater Kid
06/22/2006, 06:52 AM
Right now here is a list of what I have in my tank...

Sixline Wrasse, Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Queen Conch, Margarita Snail, 6 Scarlett Leg Hermits, 4 Blue Leg Hermits, Red Tip Hermit (common reef hermit), 15 Astrae Snails, 10 Cerith Snails, 6 Nassarius Snails, 2 Mexican Turbo Grazers.

I do plan on keeping corals. I would like to put in 3 more fish if I can...don't know if the bioload would be too much though. The fish I'm looking at are: Royal Gramma, Ocellaris Clown and Lawnmower Blenny. Are these OK to add? What would you add? My Sixline hides a lot and that ****es my wife off, she would like a fish that swims out in the open where she can see him (she wants the "nemo" clown...lol). I'm open to any suggestions. Thank!!!

The Reefer91
06/22/2006, 07:39 AM
you could do three more if they a re small. i'd go with a clown, but they are more interesting in pairs. i would pass on the royal gramma, as they can get mean. not when first introduced, but if you add anything later, forget about it. i'm not sure your tank is big enough to support a lawnmower blenny, as they reach almost 6in long sometimes. i would suggest the clowns and maybe a small goby or 2, like neon goby or greenbanded goby.

HTH :)

The Saltwater Kid
06/22/2006, 08:22 AM
Any other suggestions? Are Gobies active and not going to hide all of the time? I guess we would like fish with more personality (than the Sixline) that's why i was thinking of a Lawnmower Blenny because everybody says how much personality they have. Thanks!!!

salt newbie01
06/22/2006, 08:32 AM
Be careful with the lawn mower blennie. They do get pretty big but they can also get aggressive. Mine is over 4 inches long and has left bite marks on my 4 inch gold stripe maroon clown and on my yellow tang at feeding time. He also kicks up a lot of sand which irritates my sand bed dwelling corals - like open brain and goni. He does have a lot of personality and destroys algae. But over all is kind of a pain.
I also have a rainford goby who is pretty cool and a diligent sand sifter. Green chromis swim in open water a good bit. HTH

The Saltwater Kid
06/25/2006, 04:07 PM
I just got an Orange Spotted Diamond Goby. He is so cool, great personality and a very pretty fish! I love watching him dig out his burrows and spit his mouthful of sand...lol.