PDA

View Full Version : Opinions: PADI vs SSI Cert

jafoca
06/22/2006, 07:48 AM
I'm studying in Australia for my fall semester, and want to be certified before I go. There are two different shops in my town, one PADI 5 star, and one SSI.

From talking with the instructors / owners of the dive shops, I really like the SSI shop better, but it seems like I would rather have the PADI cert. Also, the SSI guy was more willing to be flexible with when the class was run and assured me he would get me certified before I go to Australia.

What do you all think?

maractwin
06/23/2006, 02:42 PM
It's more important to find a competent instructor who you feel comfortable with than to choose one agency or another. Both PADI and SSI are recognized around the world. So if you like the SSI shop better, go with them.

-Mark

trstange
06/24/2006, 08:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7616076#post7616076 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maractwin
It's more important to find a competent instructor who you feel comfortable with than to choose one agency or another. Both PADI and SSI are recognized around the world. So if you like the SSI shop better, go with them.

-Mark

I agree, go with the instructor you're most comfortable with, both agencys teach the same things.

fppf
06/24/2006, 09:08 PM
Yeah its more about the instructor than the lable on the card.

imtopora
06/25/2006, 02:50 PM
I just finished SSI and all 4 instructors at my shop were awesom. Most shops in my area teach PADI and none were as nice.

georgiaredhead2
06/25/2006, 08:17 PM
Both are week and don't really teach the use of dive tables just rely on dive computers. SSI has been more for fresh water. I'm certified with PADI and NAUI. I prefer NAUI and it is much more involved and safer class. After that PADI, SSI broke off from PADI and has suffered for the most part. SSI is not really that worldwide. NAUI is the worldwide leader. I have dove many times and many places worldwide. Some dive shop wouldn't even accept PADI but then again nor would they accept NAUI, hence why I got both. I have met many divers of all sorts and the most competent seem to be from the leader in diver saftey training NAUI and PADI. Good Luck and Happy Reefing.

sciguyman
07/08/2006, 05:46 PM
Why would a dive shop not accept PADI? And in your post, you say they didn't accept NAUI either? Who would they accept then?

DitchPlains2
07/10/2006, 10:42 AM
I took the PADI open water, never finished got sick during class missed last two classes, so couldnt finish exam, luckily I had a store credit and can retake the course, hopefully two padi open water courses will be better then one...lol

David

tibbs2
07/11/2006, 09:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7628013#post7628013 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by georgiaredhead2
Both are week and don't really teach the use of dive tables just rely on dive computers. SSI has been more for fresh water. I'm certified with PADI and NAUI. I prefer NAUI and it is much more involved and safer class. After that PADI, SSI broke off from PADI and has suffered for the most part. SSI is not really that worldwide. NAUI is the worldwide leader. I have dove many times and many places worldwide. Some dive shop wouldn't even accept PADI but then again nor would they accept NAUI, hence why I got both. I have met many divers of all sorts and the most competent seem to be from the leader in diver saftey training NAUI and PADI. Good Luck and Happy Reefing.

I think your comments are way offbase. I started as a student of SSI and completed the SSI written homework and test but then they hired another instructor who is PADI certified. I completed my confined and open water dives using PADI instruction. Both of them had dive tables and I learned both of them. I never used a computer on any of my dives. You learn the same information with both schools but overall I like PADI better as they have better training material and training tools for the instructors. They are a little more structured and by the book in my opinion, which is good.

Like the others said, I would base my training selection by the personality and knowledge of the trainer instead of what dive school they teach.

Chris

Dave ESPI
07/11/2006, 10:38 AM
I personaly don't like the PADI dive tables. I use the YMCA dive chart, but am getting my cert in PADI. All the techniques are teh same no matter where you go, but it is just how you learn them that is key.

skylsdale
07/14/2006, 05:56 PM
I agree with those who say it depends on the instructor.

Both are weak and don't really teach the use of dive tables just rely on dive computers.

Hm. We HAD to use tables in my PADI open water class since it wasn't required or expected that anyone would have a computer. Even when I got my advanced cert. I used tables over a computer.

ricordiaking
07/22/2006, 07:50 AM
PADI all the way. Great instructors the price was cheap $140.00 and really nice training aids.

rstark33
07/24/2006, 02:14 PM
SSI a freshwater cert???? That guy is clueless.
I am an SSI instructor. The SSI course is a little more thorough than PADI and requires 1 more cert dive, but what really matters is the instructor. Any instructor can teach the book, what you want is someone you like and will learn best from.
Both are recognized everywhere and if a diveshop doesn't recognize them, I wouldn't trust the diveshop with my life.

RayRay
08/05/2006, 07:26 PM
Go with the instructor you feel the most comfortable with. No one certification program gets all the "best" instructors. Go with who you will trust. Go with who you believe does this because they love doing it. They will take the time to answer all the stupid questions that you will have. They will be the ones to encourage you to tell you to ask anything since there really aren't any stupid questions. I'm PADI and NAUI certified and have been diving since the mid '70's. ALL of my instructors were way beyond competent, (two were ex-navy SEALs).
Welcome to the sport! I'm miserably jealous about your trip down under. ENJOY!!!

FISHNUTS
08/06/2006, 09:39 AM
I have to agree with restark33. That is why I choose SSI certification. Good course and very good instruction but I did not like the instuctor. But in hind site I now would of gone with the PADI instructor who I was more comfortable with and was not such a $%^ head.

sl

speckled trout
08/18/2006, 03:00 PM
I'm SSI certified and regularly dive out in the Gulf of Mexico. In fact we are going out to spearfish tomorrow. I'm also depositing approx. 200 lbs. of agrocrete at the base of an oilwell to see what'll grow on it.

My SSI instructor was very thorough and knowledgeable. He loves to dive and you can tell it.

My dive buddy is certified through PADI and SSI and is currently seeking his instructors certification through SSI. He is currently certified as a PADI instructor, but says he prefers the SSI instruction. He does say that he feels competent with both, however.

I fell like I'm knowledgeable and know what to expect because of the class and would recommend it to anyone. But, like it has already been stated, the instructor is the one whose gonna make or break the experience. It's no different from taking any other type of class. A good teacher makes all the difference.

mar-y-sol
09/07/2006, 10:17 PM
If you like the SSI instructor better I would go with that one. The only thing that I would suggest is that after you finish the class you purchase a different dive table. The NAUI and PADI tables are the most readily available, the only reason I suggest to get a different dive table is that the SSI dive tables don't offer much degree of difference in your surface intervals and shorten your repetitive dives by a long time. Good luck and keep safe.

simplelife
12/28/2009, 05:22 AM
[violation]

Prater
12/28/2009, 04:36 PM
I am also SSI certified basic and advance, PADI Drysuit certified, and have most of my other specialties in SSI. One other thing I like about SSI is that some colleges will accept their training as a college credit. My deepwater certs were from an SSI school in Austrailia. But, as most stated, go with an instructor that you like and have a good relationship with. That will make it more enjoyable.

Forgot to mention that my instruction always included tables. The SSI tables are more conservative than the others but I generally use my computer settings. I still play with the tables on some Nitrox dives just to keep up with them.

WarmWaterWuss
01/07/2010, 07:22 PM
I certified with NAUI and then went with PADI for AOW and Rescue (only because I couldn't find an instructor to do them with NAUI). I happened to like all the instructors and felt that they really made the difference. But I learned so much more just from diving, asking questions and watching other divers that were more advanced. Also reading anything I could get my hands on about diving especially from DAN Alert magazine. Never stop learning. :D

WarmWaterWuss
01/07/2010, 07:24 PM
Well hell, I just saw that this post was started in 2006.... hoped it worked out for the OP.