PDA

View Full Version : OT: I almost died this weekend! Warning pics!

racer69
06/22/2006, 08:14 AM
Well everyone, I am going to share my weekend with you all and hope that everyone is more careful than I. Be careful as the pics are kind of gross.

I went out to Rye Colorado Saturday to help my mother-in-law do some little things around the house. She wanted me to fix her computer, but when I got there she asked if I could get on the roof and fix her swamp cooler. Well I asked her for a ladder, and she said her sister had the extension ladder but had an old 6' step ladder. So I got the step ladder and found a section of the roof that was only about 8' tall, and started to work. Now I have recently had some troubles with my eye surgery, and my depth perception is a little off.

I had been up and down the ladder about four times and was about to get down for the last time. Jodi was holding the ladder, and as I stepped down the couple of feet to the top step I thought I was close to the step. Well thanks to my eyes, I missed the step and preceded to start falling. As most of you know I am a rock climber in my spare time so I was a little prepared and had the best hold on the roof that I could get. As I wall falling, my fingers were finally pulled from the roof. As I went down and hit the ground, I felt a severe pain in my back. I looked up from the ground and saw the t-post.

At this point Jodi was freaking out and screaming for her mother who came running outside. I tried to calm them down so I could get some feel for what had just happened. I reached around to my back and felt blood, at which point Jodi saw the wound. Apparently, as I was coming off the roof, the t-post caught my back and ripped an 8" long and 1-1/2" deep gash in my back about where my kidneys are. This is when things started to get scary.

Jodi and here mom got some bandages and ace wrap and got me bandaged and in the truck for the 35 minute ride to Pueblo and the emergency room. When we got to the ER, they immediately started treating me as a trauma 1, which I do not recommend anyone have to go through. There was about ten people in this room poking needles, pulling the wound, and generally making my life real tough. They did x-rays, and took a cat scan to check for internal injuries. After they were convinced I didn't have any, things calmed down a little, and they decided to stitch me up. They said they wanted to keep me over-night for observations, but I didn't want to, as I had dinner plans that evening. They let me go after about 3-1/2 hours and I did make dinner with my parents for and early fathers day dinner.

Well that was the drama, and here are a couple of pictures. The first is the wound after irrigation and prep for stitches, and the second is the stitches. I took 20 stitches, 10 inside and 10 outside. Everyone Be Careful when working on the roof. I was lucky.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/77107gash1.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/77107gash2.jpg

calvin415
06/22/2006, 08:30 AM
Woah! Todd glad your okay, and even more glad it was you back and not your bum. I can't imagine having to look at those pics. LOL! Hope you're not in too much pain and look forward to seeing you on the meeting on Saturday! :)

Sk8r
06/22/2006, 09:47 AM
That hurts! Glad you're ok.

The Haj
06/22/2006, 10:40 AM
Put some saltwater in it that will surely help with the pain :)..ouch..Glad you are ok as well as your internal organs

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/22/2006, 10:52 AM
man, glad you are o.k........that's a long way to live from a hospital :eek1:

CastleRock
06/22/2006, 11:16 AM
OUCH man glad you OK Todd!

COreefer
06/22/2006, 11:25 AM
Ok Todd...that really sux...how many lives do you have left???

I'm glad you're ok...

racer69
06/22/2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks guys, I will still be there Saturday. Matt, I was at my mother-in-laws, otherwise I would have had the right tool for the job. lol

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/22/2006, 11:37 AM
lol...you sick son of a gun, lol

Deuce67
06/22/2006, 12:10 PM
Whoahhh! Thats a big gash! Glad your Ok. Just gotta remember not to pat you in the back this Saturday!

racer69
06/22/2006, 01:07 PM
Whoahhh! Thats a big gash! Glad your Ok. Just gotta remember not to pat you in the back this Saturday!

Thats no bull. My brother did that Sunday accidentally, and I about pee'd myself. lol

Joe69
06/22/2006, 05:35 PM
Glad your ok Todd. Your either really luck or really unlucky depending on your view.

murfman
06/22/2006, 07:05 PM
Glad you are ok. Ohhhh you should have had them shave that carpet while they were back there!!!!!

calvin415
06/22/2006, 07:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7610796#post7610796 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by murfman
Glad you are ok. Ohhhh you should have had them shave that carpet while they were back there!!!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Martin's Reef
06/22/2006, 09:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7610796#post7610796 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by murfman

Todd, First I have to say that I am glad you are ok! This take the cake over my fingers that got smash to smitherins when you pick up my (now your) 180! OUCH MAN! I guess when we mess up we mess up GOOD! But I do have to agree with murfman on the gorilla suit!
:lol:

Martin

davmar09
06/23/2006, 07:35 AM
Oooh, I am sitting here at my desk at work just cringing ....

Glad to hear you are okay, though. Or as okay as can be heh-heh.

racer69
06/23/2006, 07:36 AM
Sorry Paul, they wanted to but didn't have any sheep shears.:lol: