PDA

View Full Version : blue throat trigger

amphirion
06/22/2006, 08:57 AM
Hi,
I just wanted to know :Who have a blue throat trigger here?
Is it really reef safe?
Is it bothering or eating your shrimps?
Could it do well in a 115g reef tank with big fishes like my powder blue tang (very aggressive) and with little ones like my clown fishes?
Do you have a pic?
Thanks!:rollface:

jda
06/22/2006, 10:29 AM
They are reef safe, including shrimp and small fish. It should be able to hold it's own with the tang.

There are males and females. If you get a pair, the male will really have brialliant colors.

Here (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/hcs3/index.php) is a good article on them.

Bret61081
06/22/2006, 02:38 PM
as long as you have the shrimp established before I dont think it will be a problem but I have heard of them still eating some! its luck of the draw! Id go with smaller ones since they dont grow very fast....good luck! I miss mine!

Horizon Canopy
06/22/2006, 03:16 PM
IME Xanthichthys triggers are coral safe, but are not 100% shrimp and small fish safe. I had a pair of crosshatches that ate 5 small chromis.

amphirion
06/22/2006, 04:27 PM
I have 5 small green chromis. Is it risky to put a trigger in there? My small chromis are well established and have a lot of rocks (150 pounds for 115g) to hide in. I doesn't have any more cleaner shrimps and I don't plan on having other ones since they are always dying after a few months. I have a boxing shrimp but it hides all day long and only go out at night. It can defend itself very well. I want to know: Is my 115g (4' long) big enough to keep one of these triggers?

BlueNWhite
06/22/2006, 04:43 PM
Here is a picture of my answer to your questions.:D (I know, not the best pictures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/Rayzilla/Marine%20Fish/MarineFish008.jpg

and in the same tank:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/Rayzilla/Marine%20Fish/MarineFish003.jpg

amphirion
06/22/2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the picture! If I understand it can be kept with small fishes but there is some exceptions!:)

Horizon Canopy
06/22/2006, 05:19 PM
I guess what I was trying to say is that it is a risk, and really depends on the temperment of the trigger. But to answer your question, I think a 4ft long tank is a little small for an adult trigger.

BlueNWhite
06/22/2006, 09:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7610263#post7610263 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AI3
I guess what I was trying to say is that it is a risk, and really depends on the temperment of the trigger. But to answer your question, I think a 4ft long tank is a little small for an adult trigger.
A bigger tank will always be preferrable, but also keep in mind that the Blue Throat is a slow grower and also one of the smallest of the triggers.

I forgot to add that I only bought mine about three weeks ago. I've got cleaner, fire, peppermint and pistol shrimps in the tank as well as serpent, red and blue starfishes. For corals, I have leathers, LPS, zoos, polyps and brains. So far no problems and it doesn't bother any of the other fishes.

Good luck if you go for it. It's an interesting addition to a reef tank because of the way it swims and it's different shape.

Raymond:)

thriceanangel
06/23/2006, 03:00 PM
My blue throat ate one of my chromises and was trying to eat my clown. I traded him in for a niger. I thinkthat if I had gotten the Blue Jaw (throat) when he was smaller, he might not have seen the chromis as food. But he was over 5 inches when I got him, and had probably eaten fish similar to a chromis in the wild. Chromises were under an inch.