PDA

View Full Version : Niger Triggers

hrdneglcry
06/22/2006, 09:42 AM
In my experience with Niger Triggers they seem to stick together as a group, and I can testify that they have ousted my Clown Trigger, and my Picasso Trigger for the tanks. They will fight sometimes, and I have had to thin the groups. I keep constant watch for aggression. IMO they seem to get along better in groups as they have less time to single a fish out because they are watching their own backs. I do not meant to say that aggression still will not happen, but I find it easier to care for them in small groups than as a single species. I am not recommending that anybody try to keep more than one together. I am just stating what has been working for me. please keep inmind that I have several open tanks that I can move the fish to if things get too rough. A fellow reefcentral member said that with these fish there are more exceptions than rules. It certainly seems true to me.

SoonerFan732
06/22/2006, 10:24 AM
Do you have a picture of your group of Niger triggers? If so would you post it? I haven't seen a group of Niger triggers in a home aquarium, but I would like to :) I love triggers!

hrdneglcry
06/22/2006, 01:59 PM
Here you go. I am going to try to take some new PICS. All 3 are in this PIC, but the PIC quality is not very good.
http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/hrdneglcry/?action=view&current=p62202192.jpg

JAFO 1
06/22/2006, 06:36 PM
I have a Niger and a Picasso in a 60 with a 40 community/fuge breeder dumping into my sump. Both are about 4" with the Picasso being just a bit smaller but fatter and are with a 6" Naso and slightly smaller Sailfin plus 2 small clowns. The picasso pretty much runs the tank yet doesn't. Niger is very peacefull and the trigger play. The picasso gave the Naso a hard time when I put him in as the last fish in the 60. May add a wolf "eel" but thats it in the 60.

I want to add a clown trigger, under 2" but think the picasso would beat him up. I have a in tank mini fuge that is empty I could put the clown in for awhile but then again, it might be asking for trouble.

SoonerFan732
06/23/2006, 05:48 AM
Thanks for the pictures! I really like Niger Triggers.

hrdneglcry
07/06/2006, 07:49 PM
Hey sooner fan. Check my photo bucket. I added video of my Niger's eating. They were very camera wary. The Sailfin Tang is new, and he scared them as they moved in to eat. The Starry Hermit looks like he actually claims the piece of food at the end. Let me know if you enjoy it. J

SoonerFan732
07/06/2006, 08:26 PM
Nice videos, I really like the hermit crab that comes out at the end of the second video!

hrdneglcry
07/06/2006, 08:37 PM
The niger's were not used to the camera. They feed a lot better than that.

mitzel
07/07/2006, 01:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7610631#post7610631 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JAFO 1
I have a Niger and a Picasso in a 60 with a 40 community/fuge breeder dumping into my sump. Both are about 4" with the Picasso being just a bit smaller but fatter and are with a 6" Naso and slightly smaller Sailfin plus 2 small clowns. The picasso pretty much runs the tank yet doesn't. Niger is very peacefull and the trigger play. The picasso gave the Naso a hard time when I put him in as the last fish in the 60. May add a wolf "eel" but thats it in the 60.

I want to add a clown trigger, under 2" but think the picasso would beat him up. I have a in tank mini fuge that is empty I could put the clown in for awhile but then again, it might be asking for trouble.

Your over stocked already , and the last thing you need to add is a clown trigger to the mix . You have already got a time bomb with the picaso and naso .

tangyreefer05
07/07/2006, 11:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7610631#post7610631 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JAFO 1

I want to add a clown trigger, under 2" but think the picasso would beat him up. I have a in tank mini fuge that is empty I could put the clown in for awhile but then again, it might be asking for trouble. Yeah bro, you are seriously overstocked. You have a niger, picasso, a naso, sailfin and 2 small clowns in a 60g? and you want to add a clown, im guessing you have more tanks than a 60 :eek1: But now that I reread your post it sounds like you do have all of those fish in a 60. For starters the Naso gets huge, requires a large tank that is atleast 6 foot long. Do you know how big sailfins get?, they need quite large tanks aswell. The picasso might do alright in a 60 for awhile but the niger will definitly outgrow that tank. Sorry man, not to be harsh but that tank is way way to small for all of those fish. You need to get a nice 180 setup asap, or sell your fish. Maybe try the picasso and a fumanchu lion or something.

johno4
07/07/2006, 04:16 PM
I'll try and be a little nicer. The triggers and the tangs will outgrow your tank, in fact the naso is already to big. The triggers are probably ok for now but you should probably upgrade tank size before adding new fish.

prugs
07/07/2006, 04:27 PM
I think we have all seen what happens, when you put too many people in a house. AKA Big Brother

hrdneglcry
07/31/2006, 12:00 PM
Soonerfan732...... Hey I just took some new video of my Trigger's eating. You can see multiple Niger's, a clown, a Picasso, and an Undulate. If you look closely at the beginning of the video, before you hit play, you'll see a blur in the middle of the PIC. That is my Argus Grouper striking the food that was for the Trigger's. Then I added more for the Trigger's. I'll put the link back up here for you. I think that you willl like it. The video should be the first image on the page. There are 3 videos, but this is the newest. I'll probably get better at taking the video.
http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/hrdneglcry/

tangyreefer05
07/31/2006, 04:10 PM
Yeah, that is what my blue line does. He has great vision, and when food is dropped he strikes FAST, i usually count on him getting whatever i put in there, then I feed the other guys. Nice tanks hrdneglcry

hrdneglcry
07/31/2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks tangyreefer05. I like Fuscus (Blue line) Triggers too. I had 6 tanks equaling 600 gallons up, and running, but it is easier to care for all of the fish in one tank. My 180.
Bluelines can see well huh? It is the same with the Argus Grouper. It is said that they can see at least as well as humans can. Mine watches me quite often. I have to keep him fed because he is big enough to eat almost any fish in the tank.

SoonerFan732
07/31/2006, 07:21 PM
Very nice! I love those Triggers.