PDA

View Full Version : Anemone Identification and Behavior Issue

bosworth
06/22/2006, 10:12 AM
I recently got my new anemone from my LFS and I wanted to make sure I had it's identification correct. They told me it was a Green Long Tip Anemone. I was hoping for a more precise identification.

ALso he's been in the tank for 3 days and seemed quite settled into a location on the sand between two rocks, and the I found him floating around in the powerhead current this morning. He's been fully inflated, has good color, and has been eating as well. The two clowns that were added the day before seem to love him and started hosting immediately. I know they sometime wander when they are unhappy, but the water parameters are perfect I have good flow and he's under 300w of HQI MH. I read in the Anemone FAQs that it might be a good idea to place him in the sand an bury his foot? Any thoughts?

Also, can I have a RBTA in the tank with this guy? I found a small one at another staore for a great proce and I wanted to snatch him up before someone else does. My tanks is a 50g long 36X18X18.

Thanks!

bosworth
06/22/2006, 10:13 AM
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i47/masterboz/DSC_4948.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i47/masterboz/DSC_4950.jpg

SVXH6
06/22/2006, 10:36 AM
thats a LTA or M. Doreensis..

bosworth
06/22/2006, 11:56 AM
Whats the big difference between the two/

SVXH6
06/22/2006, 12:23 PM
its commonly called an LTA, but the scientific name is M. Doreensis..

bosworth
06/22/2006, 12:29 PM
Ah.. Thanks for the ID! Any advice on keeping it with a Rose Bubble Tip Anemone?

dantodd
06/22/2006, 06:36 PM
I agree that the spots on the underside of the oral disk and the tentacles packed along the perimeter both make it look very much like an LTA but I don't have the experience to positively ID it.

An LTA will be much happier in a 4" or deeper sandbed. He also looks like his color is good but really short tentacles like that are not a good sign.

bosworth
06/23/2006, 06:14 AM
I have a 3-4" sand bed for the anemone to host in, but he just seems to want to float around the tank right now. I feed him two pieces of silverside 2 days ago and he ate it quickly. Can anyone tell me why he hasn't settled down to a particular spot yet? How long does it normally take to find the right spot in the tank?

dantodd
06/23/2006, 09:05 AM
nope, it took my LTA a couple months to settle into a spot it liked. Actually it dug down and set its foot the first day but my clarkii didn't like the spot and dug him back up and started chasing him around the tank for a couple months. He has since stayed attached for about 6 months only moving around a little when I re-arranged rockwork. Right now he's moving a little again and pushing a rock with him. It's sort of annoying because he's moving toward the front of the tank and now has the rock nearly against the front glass.