PDA

View Full Version : Reeflo Pumps- Dart and Barracuda, Need advice

PelagicMagic
06/22/2006, 01:26 PM
I am looking into a Dart or larger reeflo pump. I have been told they crap out after 6 months to a year, getting loud or not working all together. Can dart/reeflo users please share your experiences so I can make the right decision between a Reeflo or Dolphin

Please indicate how long you have been using the pump.

xtrstangx
06/22/2006, 01:39 PM
I've never used one but researched them quite a bit before I purchased one (then sold it again and decided to go with Tunzes)

I hadn't ever heard of them dying after a year. I've heard of people local using them for 3 years if not longer.

gcarroll
06/22/2006, 01:53 PM
Spend a couple bucks more and get the Sequence SW series.

Doubledown
06/22/2006, 01:55 PM
I have 2 Darts running right now that I have only had for 5 months. Both still run great and are silent (the Sedras on my skimmer are louder). I am re-plumbing a new tank and will be using the Sequence Snapper on it as well.

I have not heard nor read anything about a short lifespan.

RobbyG
06/22/2006, 02:50 PM
Sequence Dart running 8 months no problems so far. Very silent pump.

PelagicMagic
06/22/2006, 06:51 PM
thanks for all the input. I am going to go with the hammerhead for my 210. Its going to run the chiller, skimmer, 4 way ocean motion and I will turn my returns into drains to handle the extra water

crazdreef
06/23/2006, 01:56 PM
darts are great pumps and the warannty is pretty sweet too

EricM
06/24/2006, 01:49 PM
Dart. Fairly loud IMO. Louder than my Iwaki.

Hop
06/24/2006, 02:58 PM
My Dart is dead silent. Can't hear it at all unless you stick your head under the tank. Been running non-stop on a OM 4-way for almost a year, not a single problem. Barracuda, loud and too much pump for my needs, so I sold it.

thetedinator
06/24/2006, 03:11 PM
I ran my Baracuda with zero maintenance for 15 months and then the seal started to fail (leak). My bad. I contacted Reeflo in Colorado and they sent the seal. Took it off line, cleaned it up and replaced the seal. Back on line and running like it's new. Great customer support and the pump has a 3 year warranty.

On the other hand, the Baracuda is very noisy. I have it outside so that makes it tolerable. I have it throttled back to about half of it's capacity so I'm going to replace it at some point with the Dart. The Dart is very quiet and uses less electricity.

cya,

Ted

orlenz
06/24/2006, 06:11 PM
I've used sequence pumps for years on my ponds, never had a problem untill I used a Dart on my reef.
there seems to have been a batch of bad Dart pumps, lots of them were running hot and seizing. including mine.
they will fix it, but for some reason even though the pumps were defective, sequence does not accept that responsabilty, and the consumer is expected to pay the shipping to get it the defective unit repaired, and the new housing put on them.
they now come with the inproved housing, if you send anything to sequence/reeflo, make sure you send it certified or require a signature when they receive it. or they can lose track of it and then your SOL.

radone
06/24/2006, 07:15 PM
Been using a dart for a 1 1/2yrs no problems, mine's not exactly quiet like some, but not horribly loud either.
Also used a Sequence 5800 for my pond with awesome results unfortunately the pump saw submerging a couple times.
Now using a Durango value series not SW safe BTW but still a nice pump.

Sequence has their ducks in a row IMHO :D ;)