PDA

View Full Version : whats recirc and NW skimmer mean?

DaveG99
06/22/2006, 04:11 PM
On the reefoctopus skimmers you can get the NW or the recirc. m The NW is much cheaper. What is the difference?

sales weasel
06/22/2006, 04:20 PM
Both use needle wheel pumps to create fine bubbles. The standard needlewheel version uses a needlewheel pump to pump water in and create bubbles. The recirculating models use a small powerhead to introduce water to the skimmer. They can also be directly fed via the overflow. In the recirc models, the needlewheel pump is just that...a recirculating pump. It sucks water out of the skimmer and puts it right back into the skimmer mixed with millions of tiny bubbles.

The recirc models can be used w/o a sump but require some plumbing to get water back into the main tank. The standard needlewheel pumps must be used in a sump. They are pretty large, so you'll need a fairly large sump.

xtrstangx
06/22/2006, 05:37 PM
IMO, I'd skip the Octopus skimmer unless you are planning on upgrading the pumps. The most important part of the skimmer is the pump. The Octopus skimmers feature a no name brand needlewheel... that alone would make me very uncomfortable buying one.

You want a Sedra, Eheim, GenX, or Ocean Runner needlewheel pump if you really want a quality skimmer.

sales weasel
06/22/2006, 06:18 PM
OK xtrstangx, this is twice you've bashed what you haven't tried. I'm no engineer, I'm a lowly lawyer/sales weasel. However, I do understand the simple concept of a needlewheel or recirculating skimmer and I know that the Octopus needlewheel skimmer works great. Mine started producing the next day.

To the original poster: I think I answered your original question in my first post. Please, if you haven't... go to the gigantic Octopus thread and read as much as you can. You'll find lots of happy users. I agree that the pump is a Chinese knockoff that looks like an Ocean Runner. The entire skimmer is made in China but I guarantee you that it will compare in quality to an ASM. If the pump breaks, I'll just buy an Ocean Runner or one of the others. If I spend another $100 on a pump, I"m still ahead and have a skimmer that works.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7610350#post7610350 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtrstangx
IMO, I'd skip the Octopus skimmer unless you are planning on upgrading the pumps. The most important part of the skimmer is the pump. The Octopus skimmers feature a no name brand needlewheel... that alone would make me very uncomfortable buying one.

You want a Sedra, Eheim, GenX, or Ocean Runner needlewheel pump if you really want a quality skimmer.

xtrstangx
06/22/2006, 09:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7610558#post7610558 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sales weasel
OK xtrstangx, this is twice you've bashed what you haven't tried. I'm no engineer, I'm a lowly lawyer/sales weasel. However, I do understand the simple concept of a needlewheel or recirculating skimmer and I know that the Octopus needlewheel skimmer works great. Mine started producing the next day.

So should I go ahead and order a skimmer with a crappy no-name Chinese pump just to say I've tried it?

RichConley
06/22/2006, 09:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7611504#post7611504 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtrstangx
So should I go ahead and order a skimmer with a crappy no-name Chinese pump just to say I've tried it?

If you're calling the Hailea pumps crap, you're calling the Ocean Runner pumps crap, because theyre made by the same company. Hailea. Theyre the same pump.

Before you start bashing something, do your research.

sales weasel
06/22/2006, 09:54 PM
Well, I guess that about sums it up;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7611528#post7611528 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
If you're calling the Hailea pumps crap, you're calling the Ocean Runner pumps crap, because theyre made by the same company. Hailea. Theyre the same pump.

Before you start bashing something, do your research.

da colts
06/24/2006, 06:41 AM
octopus skimmers are the new big thing, nicely priced(not like a deltec or a h&s) and perform very well, the pump is an ocean runner. it just proves that you do not have to spend a zillion dollars to get a great skimmer. coral vue is doing this the right way, great skimmer that won't have you eating happy meals for a month.