PDA

View Full Version : Hydroid problem

AIMFish
06/22/2006, 06:13 PM
I have a small cluster of hydroids in the middle of a set of zoanthids. This thread (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=867717&highlight=hydroids) suggests using kalk paste to kill them but will this harm the zoo's? I've used Joe's Juice on aptasia and some got on the zoo's and they survived but I wasn't sure if straight kalk paste would be alot stronger than Joe's Juice or not?

AIMFish
06/23/2006, 05:46 AM
I made it to page 2 without a reply :(

surfnvb7
06/23/2006, 09:16 AM
not sure which is stronger. i've used joes juice on hydroids before and it worked well.

any chance you can get a pic of how bad it is? sometimes, if they are just in a tiny little group, you can take a knife and dig into the rock they are on, and just pick them out like that.

fours2many
06/23/2006, 09:16 AM
I have a colony of zoas with one of those pesty hydroids too. My Dh tried using a tweezers to pull it off. I read if you doon't get the entire thing including the foot, it will just grow back.

Any suggestions, anyone???!!! We need help here! Will the paste injure our zoos?????

surfnvb7
06/23/2006, 09:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7613841#post7613841 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fours2many
I have a colony of zoas with one of those pesty hydroids too. My Dh tried using a tweezers to pull it off. I read if you doon't get the entire thing including the foot, it will just grow back.

Any suggestions, anyone???!!! We need help here! Will the paste injure our zoos?????

that is correct, thats why i suggested taking a knife or something and digging into the rock under them, and prying them out.

the best method i have used is with a thick solution of joes juice, i'm sure kalk paste would work equally as well, just make sure its thick and not soupy. i kinda prefer to do it outside of the tank so none of it accidently gets on the zoas.

just cover the hydroids with the paste, and let sit for 10min or so. the zoas will be fine outside of the water.