PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate

rkelman
06/22/2006, 07:46 PM
My nitrate is now at 10ppm ammonia and nitrite are both 0. The tank is a 65 gal with a fluval 404 filter which has foam filters 2 trays of carbon and 2 trays of biomax. I took one tray of biomax out and put some live rock rubble in its place. I'm also having a algae bloom that's pretty annoying.. Its a brown algae on the glass and sand and a burgundy coloured algae hanging on the live rock (it will blow off if you point a power head at it) Am I best to remove the rest of the biomax and some foam or should I resort to chemicals to lower the nitrates? I don't have a fuge.

clsanchez77
06/23/2006, 01:59 PM
How old is this tank? Are you still cycling? What are you planning to do with the tank? Are you using a skimmer?

You need to answer these questions to get answers to yours.

Sounds like you are new to the hobby. Generally, you would not use a fluval filter unless you are doing a FO system, in that case 10ppm nitrate is not a problem, but still not natural either.

I would remove all of the foam filters and biomax trays from the fluval and only run the carbon. The live rock in your tank will serve the same purpose. The trays in the fluval will only trap detritus, which will cause your nitrates to continue on.

The algeae your describe is diatoms and cyanobacteria (slime algae). The diatoms are indicitive of your tank ending its first cycle. The cyanobacteria is indcitive of low flow and high nitrates in local areas of the tank.

Generally, it is not wise to use checmicals or any other means of a quick fix in this hobby.

I recommend you go and visit the New to the hobby forum. There are more people and some good articles to help you out: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=104

I also recommend you get a few good books, see here: http://www.reefcentral.com/books/

Chris

rkelman
06/23/2006, 04:49 PM
The tank is at 7 weeks. I'm planning to make it a reef tank. I currently have no corals and there is 3 fish in the tank right now. I'm using a Jebo skimmer (I know but its actually skimming quite well the stuff is rancid) The skimmer and the filter were really good prices but not the best choices as I now know. But I can't just go and buy new ones right now. I think my flow is above average. I have 3 maxijet 1200's, the skimmer, and the fluval filter so I think my flow is pretty good. I thought using chemicals was a bad idea :) Quick fixes rarely work in anything. Thanks for the reply I'll remove the foam and biomax.