PDA

View Full Version : nano-cube

Pico1
06/23/2006, 12:00 AM
What type of CB seahorse can I keep in a nano-cube? I would like something besides the dwarfs because I have live rock and don't want hydroids. Heres a pic of my setup. TIA
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f78/jordino13/9043.jpg

pledosophy
06/23/2006, 12:32 AM
What size is your cube?

Is a chiller an option?

Just to be clear dwarfs cannot live with hydroids so in a dwarf tank you don't want hydroids.

Pico1
06/23/2006, 12:47 AM
its a nano-cube 6. A chiller is not an option but it stays at 76 degrees. Raising small seahorses and trading them in at the LFS for new small ones once they grow too large is an option as I work at a LFS. The tank dimentions are 12x12x12.

pledosophy
06/23/2006, 01:35 AM
6g's is just to small. If it where a little bigger and you could do a chiller to drop the temp to like 65F you could try caps, but even caps at 6g's is not enough room.

The juvie idea is noble, but problamatic in the continual changing of syngnathid species. Do a search on mixing species, you will be combating the same elements even if they are all the same species, just by constantly changing horses.

Even the 12's are to small they really hold closer to 8g's. If you had a 24 you could try for tubers or fuscus if you could find them. Unfortanetly those cubes just don't make the best seahorse homes.

I'd love one if they did believe me.

Fishfreak218
06/23/2006, 07:10 AM
the tank Looks good Pico1

Pico1
06/23/2006, 07:26 AM
If I raised the juvies it would always be the same species. What problems would arise by changing horses every say, 6 months or so?

Pico1
06/23/2006, 07:35 AM
Everyone says seahorses need SO much room. Honestly I think that they don't need that much room because they are such slow swimmers they don't need a ton of exercise, if their CB they are used to tank life and should do fine in a tank of my size as ling as I keep water quality good and don't keep more than 2, and their not going to be mating in my tank so I don't need a super tall tank-why do seahorses NEED to be able to breed in the tank they live in? When we keep reef fish we don't make sure our tanks are set-up so that they can breed, why do seahorses have to have a specialized tank to breed?

TamiW
06/23/2006, 10:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7613249#post7613249 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pico1
Everyone says seahorses need SO much room. Honestly I think that they don't need that much room because they are such slow swimmers they don't need a ton of exercise, i

Have you any experience to back this up? It sounds like you're saying this because it suits your desires, not the animals' needs.

Seahorses are quite active, actually. They are also not very agile, and need a lot of space to get themselves turned around, etc . . . But beyond all that, they need space because they are waste making machines, and their poops are very nutrient rich. You need some serious water volume to keep the waste from building up to dangerous levels.

A six gallon would only be appropriate for dwarf seahorses. You can treat your tank with panacur to rid it of hydroids. While generally reef safe, it may kill other things though, such as snails and worms.

Pico1
06/23/2006, 11:03 AM
Well I've decided to go with either a pipefish or a shrimp/goby pair since this tank is not well suited for any type of horse.

Fishfreak218
06/23/2006, 02:46 PM
shrimp/goby pair would look good in there IMO....
I like Randalli Gobies and Yellow Watchmen Gobies....
how about one shrimp goby and a trimma goby???

Pico1
06/23/2006, 03:19 PM
I'm either going to do a hi-fin red banded goby or a yellow watchman goby with a pistol shrimp.

equinecpa
06/23/2006, 11:00 PM
I commend you for posting and LISTENING. So many don't and then wonder why they fail.

I'm sure the goby/shrimp combination will be great.

Pico1
06/23/2006, 11:55 PM
Thanks, does anyone know how deep of a sandbed I need for a shrimp/goby pair?

TamiW
06/24/2006, 05:25 AM
I don't know what the offical answer is, but I had two pairs in a 3" sand bed.

Kati
06/25/2006, 10:38 PM
I used to have a high fin red-banded goby and a pistolshrimp and I loved them, but after the goby died i tried a watchman, and this is really weird, but he seemed to randomly and seriously injur his mouth. He was alone in the tank too... so I am still totally puzzled by this. I posted and RC to try and get an explanation and the only thing I got was someone saying theirs did something simaler. I guess just a word of caution... I really don't know how common that is, but it might be of some help.