PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

BigRay
06/23/2006, 07:18 AM
Hey ,
Day before yesterday i brought home the common octopus that my LFS special ordered for me. I acclimated him slowly (on a slow drip for about 3-4 hours) and he seemed to be doing fine in the box, and when i put him in the tank, he dissappeared into the live rock.
Last night i put 3 live crabs in a lidless container in the bottom but he didn't get them. I haven't seen him at all sense i put him in.
Is this normal?

Thanks,
BigRay

bchristie
06/23/2006, 09:09 PM
Its normal, give the animal some time to adjust.

BigRay
06/27/2006, 10:06 AM
ok, last night i put a crab on a feeding stick and put it infront of the rock I know he's under. His tenticals came out and ripped the crab of the stick. So i know he's eating something, But after 6 days he still has not come out. Will he ever come out?

Thanks,
BigRay

DHyslop
06/27/2006, 01:10 PM
Six days isn't very long. The little guy has had a rough ride: he's been plucked out of his home by a diver, crossed the Pacific in a plastic bag in the belly of an airplane and maybe stopped at a few distributors here in the US. Now he's in an entirely new environment and he needs some time to a) get used to his surroundings and b) feel confident that no one's out to get him.

The best thing to do is give him some time. It might be a month before he feels comfortable enough to come out. Make sure he's well fed and has plenty of places to hide. Do your best to get him to associate you with food and hopefully he'll come out eventually.

Good luck

Dan

Gonodactylus
06/27/2006, 03:26 PM
If the animal is noctural (most octopus speceis are), he may never come out during the day.