PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Safe Silicone Sealant

raynist
06/23/2006, 07:23 AM
I suppose I don't need to buy the stuff my LFS sells and could get some at HD. What do I need to look for to know that it is aquarium safe? I am trying to seal a leaky bulkhead that leaks because the chips from the hole in my tank are a little bigger than the bulkhead gasket.

Is there any black sealant i could use?

Thanks
Ray

Travis L. Stevens
06/23/2006, 07:37 AM
I don't know about black, but you can get clear "GE Silicon I: Window and Door" and do just fine.

raynist
06/23/2006, 07:41 AM
Thanks.

I was just wondering about black since I have a Oceanic tank that has black silicone. I imagine it will all be covered in coraline in time anyways.

gh0st
06/23/2006, 09:37 AM
Just be careful and make sure you don't get Silicon that has fungicides, etc which are pretty common in plumbing Silicons.

I prefer to play it safe and buy Aquarium Safe Sealants. The peice of mind is worth the extra couple of bucks IMHO

Travis L. Stevens
06/23/2006, 09:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7613968#post7613968 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gh0st
Just be careful and make sure you don't get Silicon that has fungicides, etc which are pretty common in plumbing Silicons.

I prefer to play it safe and buy Aquarium Safe Sealants. The peice of mind is worth the extra couple of bucks IMHO

Too true. Always read the whole label paying close attention to the ingredients list. FWIW, I have yet to find GE Silicon I: Window and Door with any mold inhibitors.