PDA

View Full Version : Converting a SW tank to FW

MattNoyes
06/23/2006, 06:55 PM
I know this is kind of an odd place to ask this, but I figured the community here would know the answer.

I am going to convert my 30 cube to a freshwater tank. It has been sitting fallow with only some live rock in it for close to 2 months now. It formerly was a seahorse tank but after they died I did not know what I wanted to do with it. I have decided on going the FW route. What special steps (if any) do I need to take aside from draining the saltwater, filter media and substrate to make it a good tank for FW?
Thanks in advance for any answers
Matt

Avi
06/23/2006, 07:06 PM
Just drain the tank of the salt water and completely clean it of any saltwater-related substrate. Then, fill it with freshwater and the substrate that you have chosen for your new freshwater tank, and use whichever method you want to begin a freshwater cycle. Use freshwater testing kits and make sure your new freshwater tank has cycled and then you can put whatever link of freshwater fish you've chosen, into it.

mikeadams1985
06/23/2006, 07:34 PM
dont give SW up stick with it :)

Avi
06/23/2006, 07:50 PM
Well, there are a lot of things that keep a person from being successful with saltwater tanks....time, money, other committments. I'm lucky enought to have what I need to keep this reef-thing going, but I can understand if someone else can't. It's always there for another time.

MattNoyes
06/23/2006, 08:37 PM
I have a seperate 29g that I am keeping SW, I was thinking of doing a reef setup with the 30 cube, but it seems the bigger the tank you go, in the end run works out to be only slightly more $ per gallon as far as equipment wise goes. So I will be going with a 75 or 90 gallon in a few years as a reef tank

crustin
06/23/2006, 09:09 PM
thats odd, i thought it was supposed to be other way around?