PDA

View Full Version : max limit

HartfordWhalers
06/23/2006, 08:19 PM
I have a 40 breeder and i was wondering what people would think the max limit of fish would be. I have a 30 gallon sump and skimmmer, what are your thoughts on the amount?

Bebo77
06/23/2006, 08:23 PM
deopends on the size of the fish you wanted to keep and what kinds of filters you are using... you can stock it heavy if you get a nice skimmer and do weekly water changes....

what were you thinking of getting

HartfordWhalers
06/23/2006, 08:24 PM
Im not sure i currently have a coral beauty, percula, roya grandma and an assortment of corals, the biggest one is the percula at around 3in tops. Im not sure the skimmer i think its a berlin,

HartfordWhalers
06/23/2006, 08:25 PM
oh forgot i have a goby too but he hides alot and comes out in the night

proboscis
06/23/2006, 08:42 PM
i have 10 fish in a 70 gallon 4 are them are only 1 inch long, goby's

proboscis
06/23/2006, 08:44 PM
i have 10 fish in a 70 gallon 4 are them are only 1 inch long, goby's, hey hartford i mean uh carolina won the stanley cup

IslandCrow
06/23/2006, 09:42 PM
Unfortunately in salt water, it doesn't seem to be a simple question of how many fish you put in what size tank. It does have everything to do with what type of fish, how well they play together, what they add to your bioload, how well your setup can handle that bioload. Remember that most saltwater fish are used to having a pretty good chunk of ocean almost all to themselves. They usually want their own territory, and the more fish there are competing for areas of your tank, the less happy they'll be. How much space each fish likes to have is highly variable, and really not all that dependant upon size most of the time. Anyway, my guess would be if you can maintain your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and phosphates and your fish aren't fighting with each other or stressed because they can't find a niche in your tank to sleep, hide, etc. (as many will want), you're probably golden. I'm for defaulting on the light side myself. I'm not planning on having more than probably 4 fish in my 55g.