PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate Bio-load

tamsprk
06/23/2006, 10:46 PM
If you are going for mostly natural filtration (LS, LR, cleanup critters) what is a good way of figuring out how much you can keep in a tank? Just some backround, I have a 25 gallon with about 30 # LR, a 3" DSB in the display and an 11" DSB in a 4' by 4' section in back. I have a Remora skimmer coming and so far only 3 green damsels.

cbell
06/24/2006, 04:09 AM
are you going to be keeping coral and fish or just fish?

the bio load question doesn't have a short answer.
coral add to the bio load too (some people seem to over look that)

however in a 25 gal tank you most likely wont be keeping any tangs, angels or large fish in general.

your husbandry skills/practice can also play a big part in the bio load you can keep.

cbell
06/24/2006, 04:11 AM
with all of that being said, i wouldn't keep more than 4-6 SMALL fish in a 25g tank

i.e. firefish, clowns, gobies

tamsprk
06/24/2006, 04:19 PM
Thanks, I plan on just several small fish, I want it to be a softie dominated tank. And of course a lionfish. They can fit in a 25, right ;-)?

Sk8r
06/24/2006, 05:07 PM
Best have no fish whose adult size exceeds 2 inches.

crustin
06/24/2006, 05:21 PM
i think you are close to you bioload now on fish -jmo

Angel*Fish
06/24/2006, 05:29 PM
With a DSB - your bioload capacity will increase over time say like a year+ - depending on how well you nurture it

The best way in my opinion to detemine bioload is to monitor your tank parameters & watch your tank's reaction to what you add - You can test your bioload capacity by feeding heavier for a couple of weeks, if your params are fine then you know your tank can handle that amount of increased nutrients for another fish