PDA

View Full Version : Which comes first? LR or lighting?

N8ster
06/24/2006, 01:24 PM
Planning 90 gallon mixed reef--will eventually have clams, anemone, SPS.

When, in the process of setting up the tank, should I invest in the lighting? How long after (or before) I order the LR, should I have good lighting set up?

How important is lighting during the LR cycling process?

My thoughts:
If I get the lighting in place first, there is a higher chance I could get some interesting stuff with the LR.

I am ready to order the rock, but havent' figured out exactly what I want to do with the lighting.

AquaReeferMan
06/24/2006, 01:28 PM
I say go with the LR first, and get your tank cycled. You really dont need lighting during this time. You can always throw a couple of PC's on so you can see but I would worry about getting the LR you need. You wont need a good lighting system for a couple of months. I didnt get good lights until my tank was stable and I was ready to add coral and what not. HTH

crustin
06/24/2006, 01:31 PM
you are going to need some kind of lighting, you dont have to have the best at first, but you need some

exacta123
06/24/2006, 01:54 PM
I agree with AquaReeferMan the light isn't important intill you start adding corals most people cycle without lights there is no use in running up your electric bill when they are not necessary, you will need the LR to cycle your tank.