PDA

View Full Version : algae... grrrrrrrrr

EB847
06/24/2006, 01:45 PM
tank is 3 mo old... used ro/di from start. ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/phosphate all 0. dkh 8, calcium 420, ph 8.0, magnesium 1280. i lightly stocked, feed frozen brine every other day (only enough to be consumed). i have what i first thought was cyano, but this morning looks like hair algae (blanket of brown covering sand trapping bubbles and now has 2-3" hairs all over). it was only on my sandbed and in the overflows, but i'm now starting to see it in the sump.

-can anyone tell me what is causing this or how to get rid of it?

exacta123
06/24/2006, 01:48 PM
(1) do you have a refugium?

(2) have you tested your RO/DI output with a TDS (total dissolved solids) meter?

wetWolger
06/24/2006, 01:53 PM
also I would not feed brine every other day.....I feed brine about once every other week. There are flake/dried seaweed that are better options.

EB847
06/24/2006, 01:53 PM
-1) do you have a refugium?

(2) have you tested your RO/DI output with a TDS (total dissolved solids) meter?-

no/no. no room for a fuge. i'll see if my lfs can test for my tds today.

EB847
06/24/2006, 01:57 PM
-also I would not feed brine every other day.....I feed brine about once every other week. There are flake/dried seaweed that are better options.-

i also feed nori every few days. my clowns dont touch it though. you are suggesting the small amount of frozen brine could be the source of the algae? what other foods are suggested?

exacta123
06/24/2006, 01:59 PM
ebay has TDS meters for about 20$ shipped it is worth it. I would think about maybe trying to incorporate a fuge you could always buy a HOB (hang on back) fuge, try to increase your flow also...good luck!!!

kybreos
06/24/2006, 01:59 PM
Dont sweat it, dont add any chemicals or any "magic fixes" your tank is new and you will be going through quite a few algae cycles, just keep on top of weekly water changes and dont add any new livestock to your tank till it clears up, almost all tanks go through some rough algae and bacteria cycles for the first year.