PDA

View Full Version : O-Ring Use and Source

Pyrojon
06/24/2006, 03:02 PM
I'm building a new Ca reactor and want to provide a groove to carry an O-Ring to make it water tight.

Should I make my groove a larger width then my O-Ring to give room for the O-Ring's compression?
Also, should I make the two mating O-Ring grooves come together and compress the O-Ring and if so, how much?
Finally what is a good source for large O-Rings, say 6" diameter?

Thanks
Jon

MarkS
06/24/2006, 04:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7621338#post7621338 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pyrojon
I'm building a new Ca reactor and want to provide a groove to carry an O-Ring to make it water tight.

Should I make my groove a larger width then my O-Ring to give room for the O-Ring's compression?
Also, should I make the two mating O-Ring grooves come together and compress the O-Ring and if so, how much?
Finally what is a good source for large O-Rings, say 6" diameter?

Thanks
Jon

Go to www.allorings.com and read the volumes of info they provide. They are also an excelent source.

prugs
06/25/2006, 01:05 PM
Check for hydraulic shops in your area. They usually have a large supply & just about any size.
Your not going to have a high press situation in a skimmer. So the groove only needs to be on one side, & yes make the groove width a little bigger than the DIA.

Pyrojon
06/25/2006, 05:59 PM
Ok, thanks but I'm making a Ca reactor, that would be pressurized a bit.

Thanks

prugs
06/25/2006, 06:16 PM
That would be a "we bit" compared to a 3000psi hydraulic application.

Pyrojon
06/26/2006, 08:39 AM
Ok, so my groove needs to be a little bigger then my diameter, but how deep should it be? Not as deep as my diameter, but how much?

Thanks
Jon

prugs
06/26/2006, 12:19 PM
1/2 to 2/3rds of the o-ring DIA. For this low press application its not that critical. The groove is just there to keep the o-ring from squirting out, when you tighten down the screws for the flanges.
How thick are you going to make the flanges?