PDA

View Full Version : Casualties - Water Temp?

Elmac1
06/24/2006, 09:28 PM
I lost a (very expensive) chevron tang recently. He was very healthy, eating well and showed no signs of trouble until I found my brittle star eating the corpse. My tank has been healthy and successful for a couple of years now.

I recently added a 2nd pump to my system to run a new skimmer and it is running my tank temp up to 85 degrees. The temp has been elevated for a few weeks now. Could that be the cause?

Could the brittle star have killed it?

I am usually pretty good at keeping fish healthy. I also know that the cause of death is many times hard to pinpoint.

Does anyone think it could be temp or the brittle star?

bertoni
06/24/2006, 09:31 PM
Some brittle stars are definitely predatory on fish, particularly the green ones. What type do you have?

85 F shouldn't kill fish, IME, assuming the tank is getting good aeration, and with a skimmer, that's usually not a problem. I've run tanks up there with no noticeable effects.

Ti
06/24/2006, 09:32 PM
85 won't kill fish.
I've had my tank go 88 an my tang was fine.
something else was the culprit

Elmac1
06/24/2006, 09:36 PM
It is a green brittle star. I have had him a long time and he is getting very big. I would say 20 inches from tip to tip and the body is 3 inches across. What other kinds are available?

bertoni
06/24/2006, 09:52 PM
Well, I would guess the green star got hungry.

None of the other types are as predatory, although they are probably all a risk. The mini-brittles that only get an inch or so across are a good cleanup crew member that can't possible take down a fish.

Elmac1
06/24/2006, 10:02 PM
Bertoni

Thanks for your help.

bertoni
06/24/2006, 10:13 PM
You're welcome! Good luck!