PDA

View Full Version : Will calcerous tube worms KILL the tank?

greenfroggiespawn
06/24/2006, 10:18 PM
I've noticed that I've had MAN MANY calcerous tube worms, feather worms w/ calcerous tubing.

Everytime I stire the tank, they emit some mucous. I don't know who, how or what but my tank sha been growing this all over. Is it a bad thing?

What can I do?

whiteshark
06/24/2006, 10:23 PM
They are annoying, huh. I had em everywhere too where I OD ed phyto. I don't think they will harm anything. All it means is that you have plenty of food availible for them.

Sk8r
06/24/2006, 10:23 PM
No. Worms are generally useful, and most things in the marine environment slime.

More important, why are you stirring your tank? You shouldn't disturb the sandbed. That can let loose all sorts of things you dont' want loose.

highquality
06/24/2006, 10:29 PM
If there like mine that are a tube shell that curves and a worms lives in and lets out this fishing line of mucas type stuff. the thing is just fishing, but can be a real pain in the butt for me. the mucas fishing line does nt seem to directly harm the corals but when it gets all over them like the acros, is definately has seemed to slow the grow a great deal. I have had one slothing all over a few acros for a good 7 months now and havnt lost a coral. I can say however that those corals hav not grown much at all b/c of i guess being pestered by the worm. I just havnt had the heart to scrape him off or remove him. I almost daily siphon the fishing net mucas off with a turkey baster. hope this helps .

greenfroggiespawn
06/25/2006, 04:36 AM
I tried scrapping but too much. THey attach themselves on pvc, acrylic, clams and etc.

I also have the small feather duster ones (red fan), and those are cool but they are calcium suckers lol...

I don't really have a sand bed, but when I do water changes I use a PH and blow my tank up and thats when it really irritates the worm. The polyps actually open though lol !!