PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor

joe findell
06/25/2006, 09:00 AM
Just a thought.... Can anyone tell me if it would provide the same benefits to have your calcium reactor on your RODI holding vat and or salt mixing vat rather than directly into your tank. If all your water added had the desired level would it not be the same?

My reasoning is I do not like a clutter cabinet. We have a 120gal reef at my wifes shop and I have plenty of room in my basement for the reactor to tie in directly to my 70gal RODI vat or my 100gal salt vat.

What do you think?

Boomer
06/25/2006, 11:05 AM
Not a good idea. The purpose of the reactor is to control the Ca++, Alk and pH in the tank and make adjustments as needed, in tank. This does much of nothing for your tank. Your idea is more on the order of a top-off system or a water changing system.

joe findell
06/25/2006, 11:50 AM
So in other words you are saying that by having all my top off and change water at a desirered level of ca++ provided by the reactor, is not as good as a constant feed directly to my tank and I would get no more benefits than if I just dosed the tank with some sort of ca++ builder.

Does that make sense?

Mike O'Brien
06/25/2006, 01:04 PM
Try a limewater reactor. Or just mix the lime right into you're holding vat and feed the tank from there.

Boomer
06/25/2006, 01:25 PM
So in other words you are saying that by having all my top off and change water at a desirered level of ca++ provided by the reactor

My poing is, that yes, you could do this, as I stated for a top-off or water exchange system but you are wasting the use of the reactor, which is suppose to be controlling the pH, Ak and Ca++ of the tank. The reactor should be hooked up to the tank, otherwise you are just wasting it.

I would get no more benefits than if I just dosed the tank with some sort of ca++ builder.

No, put the reactor on the tank where it does some good at controlling the pH, Alk and Ca++ and dose the RO/DI or salt mix, if you feel there is a need, such as Mike has suggested.

joe findell
06/25/2006, 03:35 PM
OK. Looks there is no way around it. I will just have to make room somewhere in my 120 cabinet for the ca++ reactor. Thanks for input.