PDA

View Full Version : yellow anemone Help Pleez!!

zplat
06/25/2006, 12:42 PM
I have had my yellow anemone for the past 5 month. When I baught it was bright yellow color in the past few months it has gotten darker almost brown. and it was getting bigger and looked real nice. it ate krill soaked with Zoe and also when I fed the tank for other animals. Now the edges have begin the shrink and it doesn't open up. it looks like he is dying, shriviling up. and yet everyting else in my tanks is thriving)Shrooms,Zoos,Xania,Other corals ect.)
The only thing I am thinking is water flow,I never had anyting directly on it but it's tenticles would move pretty good.
I have MH 550 w(250 14k 2x150 10k) he was situated about 18" below the light for the past 4-5 months.
my params are stable temp 78-80
SG 1.026
Any advise? Should I get it out Asap?or can I bring him back.
Thanks

graveyardworm
06/25/2006, 07:07 PM
What kind of anemone? How often does it get fed? Can you post a picture?

zplat
06/26/2006, 09:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7627547#post7627547 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by graveyardworm
What kind of anemone? How often does it get fed? Can you post a picture?

Yellow Anemone

graveyardworm
06/27/2006, 09:59 AM
There is no picture in the attachment as far as I can tell, just an empty text page. Yellow anemone does not help with id. Different anemone species can have very different requirements. So the first thing we need to do is figure out what it is.

zplat
06/27/2006, 06:22 PM
I added it to my gallery since i do not have time to get on the web.

Thanks for taking a look at for me. I wish I could tell you more. When I bought it, it was labeled as Yellow anemone. I never researched further .

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7637606#post7637606 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by graveyardworm
There is no picture in the attachment as far as I can tell, just an empty text page. Yellow anemone does not help with id. Different anemone species can have very different requirements. So the first thing we need to do is figure out what it is.

graveyardworm
06/27/2006, 07:10 PM
Still hard to make an id with the picture, if you get a better closeup it would be good. Have you tried to feed it anything else like silversides? The fact that its color changed to brown is a good sign, most likely when it was purchased it was somewhat bleached. Are its tentacles sticky when you try to feed it, and is the mouth closed or gaping?

zplat
06/29/2006, 08:49 PM
Davis,
i added another to the gallery.
I have not tried silver sides. I have a bag of frozen SS but none of my fishe ever took to it. At this point I do not know it if will be getting healthy or dying. I am getting some more power heads to move more water. this might have been a cause. When you said the turning brown is a good sign.What does that mean? I have bought a pure white leather tree that is at the ends or top truning more tannish, the rest is whiter than the top and this sucker is growing like crazy( I need to trade it off soon)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7641164#post7641164 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by graveyardworm
Still hard to make an id with the picture, if you get a better closeup it would be good. Have you tried to feed it anything else like silversides? The fact that its color changed to brown is a good sign, most likely when it was purchased it was somewhat bleached. Are its tentacles sticky when you try to feed it, and is the mouth closed or gaping?

graveyardworm
06/29/2006, 09:25 PM
Generally if it was white when purchased it usually indicates bleaching ( loss of zooxanthalae ) , when it colors up or becomes brown it indicates that the zoo are multiplying and the creature is atleast somewhat happy. If it hasnt eaten in a while I would experiment with some different foods, like silversides, or try some grocery store bought stuff, like raw clams, shrimp, etc. In the new pic it appears that the mouth is gaping which is generally not a good sign. Still not enough detail though for an id.

zplat
06/29/2006, 09:57 PM
Thanks David for the advise.
I tried Krill but it rejected it.

czieler
06/29/2006, 10:13 PM
I have a bubbletip, a LT anemone, and a florida condi. They all seem to like it when I target feed them mysis soaked with Zoe...they actually all like pellet food too.

I sometimes get squid and chop it up really well..and give them some of that too... but if its frozen (sometimes fresh isn't avail.) ...make sure to let it thaw to room temperature..as they tend to spit it out if its too cold.